• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boy or girl??!

I was going to post a picture on here but can't for the life of me work out how. When I bought my rabbit at 8 weeks old I was told she was a girl, well now she's 6 months old, and to me she doesn't look so much like a girl down there! But I don't pretend to have any knowledge about any of this, so would like a more expert opinion on whether she is actually a he, or if there's just something else going on down there! If anyone can help please get in touch, perhaps I could email the picture, or maybe someone could tell me if there's a way to post it on here from my iPhone? Any help much appreciated
Leighanne

You need to have the picture hosted online, I use photobucket and they have a free app :thumb:

Once you've uploaded it to there go into details and copy the link that has IMG either side of it, paste it on here and it should appear!

Good luck :wave:

Wow I'm such a technophobe so I hope this works...
photo_zps0055d410.jpg.html

That definitely looks like a boy to me!!!! Not that I'm an expert on sexing rabbits but I'm 99.9% sure they are testicles, and I'm 100% sure that only boys have those!

Rabbits are notoriously sexed wrongly so you're definitely not the first to be in this situation! I hope your bun isn't too insulted by being wrongly called a girl for 6 months :p

If I were you I'd get the little lad booked in for de-plumming in the near future, hormonal boys can be fun! :lol:

What's he called? Is it transferrable to a male name?

Oh she had such a lovely name, Pixie, now what do I call him hahaha! Just wondering I have a female rabbit and let them out together sometimes (as I just thought they were both girls!!) is it normal for the female to be more dominant and try to hump the male then? Oh god this is all very confusing for me now haha

Oh she had such a lovely name, Pixie, now what do I call him hahaha! Just wondering I have a female rabbit and let them out together sometimes (as I just thought they were both girls!!) is it normal for the female to be more dominant and try to hump the male then? Oh god this is all very confusing for me now haha

Yes both sexes hump each other as its related to dominance BUT is she spayed if not you may have a problem...

The bunny formally known as Pixie is the sweetest, tamest little bunny ever, it's my female (I'm quite sure about that one) that's the moody little moo! Will get them both done soon!

You could call him Pixel? Otherwise I reckon you could stick with Pixie and he can just be in touch with his feminine side :lol:

Definitely a boy!:shock: :lol:

Is the girl spayed? If not and they've both been humping each other you may have wee babies in a month or so! :S

Just to add, if your doe is unspayed then she is most likely pregnant :shock: either way I would ge her spayed soon as 80% of girlies will have uterine cancer by the age of 5 :cry:

No she isn't, but she literally jumped on him for about 2 seconds before I pulled her off as I thought she was attacking him :lol: surely no damage can be done I that time, right? :/

No I'm quite sure I never took my eyes off of them because Bella is the bigger bunny and like I said a bit of a moody moo sometimes so was watching to make sure she didnt hurt pixie in any way

Hopefully you'll be lucky then :p I'd watch her for a month, just to be sure then get her done just so she never can and to protect from cancer :thumb:

Yeah I had heard about the cancer so was planning on getting them done any way. And now I know that pixie is a boy I'll definitely be getting Bella done so we don't get any surprises! Lets just hope we were lucky this time! Thanks everyone for your input :)

Back