• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone used FiltaBac barrier Cream?

toria

Warren Scout
Hello,

My rabbit Willow suffers from EC problems and is slightly incontinent and has a few mobility problems however she is perfectly alright and happy otherwise.
I put vaseline on her nether regions to keep her skin healthy everyday but noticed her legs had started to look a bit red and there is no way I could smear vaseline on her skin there, so I took her and my other rabbit Toby to the vets.
The vet said I have been doing a great job at keeping her skin healthy but agreed her skin on her legs was a little red. It hadn't ulcerated or anything but agreed Willow needed cream. I was given FiltaBac Cream to use instead of Vaseline. It works great to smear on her legs.
Trouble is since then Willow's appetite isn't as enthusiastic. Which also means Toby isn't either.
They would normally dash for their tea, eat it till it's all gone whilst pushing each other to get to the last bits in the bowl. But since I have been to the vets, they have come for their tea as usual but Willow has gone away and left food in the bowl. Toby then follows her but then goes back to the bowl, eats a bit then goes to the stairs, then back to the bowl then to the stairs like he is looking for her. She is too busy licking herself.
She does go back and have some more but still leaves some. Both rabbits are eating but not as enthusiastically as normal.
I am wondering if this cream has some how upset Willow alittle. I think Toby isn't finishing it all off as he is looking for Willow.
Tomorrow I think I am going to go back to the Vaseline again for a couple of days. See if it makes a difference. Or, possibly give more time between applying the cream and them having their tea.

Has anyone had any similar problems having used FiltaBac Cream on their rabbits?
I worry so much, I feel like I have upset them by going to the vets.
Thanks.

I'm sorry I have never used that cream but when I had a bun who suffered with a messy bottom and once from fly strike I found sudocrem very effective, just a very small amount was needed.

I take it bun has been treated for the EC and she doesn't have a urine infection?

Could it be something else causing the lack of appetite - pain? Teeth?

Hi, thank you very much for your reply.
Yes, she has been treated and has not got a urine infection. This has been an ongoing thing.
She was examined at the Vets and teeth checked on the WWednesday - all OK.
I have stopped using the cream and gone back to Vaseline and she has perked up and is a lot more enthusiastic about her grain and hay. She and Toby have eaten their tea in one sitting before leaving the bowl. I have a feeling the cream upset her somehow... I do think I will have to find an alternative as I need something to put on her inner legs. Sudocrem maybe - thanks for the suggestion.

I've got filtabac cream from my vet for one of my buns although as it's on her back she can't reach to lick it. Not noticed it affecting her companions who groom her though. I've also used sudocrem and I know some rescues use Vet Gold :wave:

Back