• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ailise's indoor "base"

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi guys!

I thought I'd share the pictures I took of Ailise's indoor cage. PLEASE NOTE this is not big enough for a bunny to be in permanently! Ailise is only in this overnight, or when I'm at work (5 hours twice a week, and some Saturdays, although a housemate lets her out on Saturdays). Once her outdoor home is built, she'll be in this home ONLY overnight.

This is an almost 3 grid by 2 grid by 2 grid cage, made from storage cube grids zip-tied together. I had to shorten the length by about 3 inches (to fit in that particular space) so it's really about 2.8 grids long instead of 3. Total measurements of the cage is 37" x 28" x 28" (the base is slightly wider). It has a hay bin at the back left and a shelf to the right. The support at the back for the shelf is offset to allow the litter box to fit in the back left corner, underneath the hay rack.
307340_10151445078175240_2109185884_n.jpg

The base is 1/2" ply with vinyl stapled to it. I turned the vinyl over the edges so that I could staple it to the ply from underneath (no sharp staples for bunny to catch on). The shelf is the same, but thinner ply to reduce weight. I then screwed little clips to the sides of the base to prevent the cage from slipping off the base, and added casters to the base so that the whole cage can be wheeled around.
522035_10151445079475240_1259793237_n.jpg

All the edges are surrounded with corrugated plastic to help prevent hay/poops being kicked out. The hay rack is a five-sided cube (open at the top) with corrugated plastic surrounding the sides to keep the hay in. Ailise can sit in the litter tray and pull the hay down through the grid spaces directly above her head.
578285_10151445080345240_1805298884_n.jpg

AMETHYST

Was this the biggest space you could offer her? Even if it is only for overnight use, it is very small.

Just my opinion.

Was this the biggest space you could offer her? Even if it is only for overnight use, it is very small.

Just my opinion.

Yes, it really was the biggest space. I live in a shared house. She free-ranges basically the whole day though, and is still happy to return to the cage throughout the day so she doesn't seem to dislike it. Once the outdoor space is built it'll be even better, since she'll have more free time.

AMETHYST

Back