• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini Lop or Spider-Man?

I have a recent arrival who is a mini lop, is very loving and keeps wanting head strokes, eats out of my hand and just walks all over me so very friendly.

His area is built from c and c grids, 2 in height. Yesterday he managed to jump out 3 times and came over to me, I have added an extra grid to make it 3 high, but need to remove when cleaning.

He has since had several attempts to jump this, he actually jumped to a corner and his rear paws were supporting him in a grid and his front paws too so he looked like Spider-Man he held there then flopped back to ground. He can jump to the 3rd almost but just falls back to ground. I’m concerned he is going to hurt himself at this rate, he has plenty of hay, pellets. Has a tunnel to enjoy and other things and has a lot of room to race about but he keeps wanting to get to me.

Do you think he will calm down as he is just a baby bunny? Should I continue to have time he can spend with me or reduce our time together end not give him some food by hand? If he wasn’t so small/fragile I’d let him follow me around more but as he is a baby don’t want him to get hurt

He is very different to my doe who is more standoffish. I also wasn’t sure what to name him but I think he has earnt himself the name Peter Parker!

How tall is the side? I’ve known bunnies clear 3ft with ease before. And I’ve had a pair of half wild bunnies who would climb to nearly 4ft up the vertical mesh of the run! I would have it 4ft to be safe. You could pin a sheet over it to discourage him from trying to get out.

Awww sounds like a little escape artist [emoji1787] I had a similar issue when Athie was younger, naughty boy would jump/climb out.
As Zoobec suggests pinning a sheet might help :)
I ended up placing a sheet over the top bit right by the side so it formed a semi roof which seemed to discourage him from trying :)
He still doesn't like being penned in and the other day I got distracted while giving him dandelion roots and he jumped onto my desk [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

I am going to look to add a roof bit with grids, I have grid connectors that can be used as hinges. He got out again must have climbed. To side of cage he got out is a table and nothing exciting on top. I’m more concerned he is going to hurt himself spa sheet to stop climbing and a grid roof should work. He is so small and adorable it’s quite surprising he can get up so high. Bunnies are pretty amazing. When he is older, and fully used to litter I will likely just have him free roam. This is after he can be neutered and my doe spayed and once they are bonded. So a while yet, I’ll take more time to play with and tire him out, don’t want to neglect my doe even if she isn’t up for as much ‘fun’ though

This is starting to get stressful. I added a roof of grids. They are hinged and the other end is the connectors to rest on. I went out for a brief walk and just got back. Checked and my bunny had jumped up again but where the roof lands on top he had got wedged in between and was stuck. I freed him and have take. Him to my room now giving him some pellets and letting him run around my bed. I am thinking of getting a store cage as a temporary for him as they are fully self contained. Would that be a good idea? I can put the cage inside the c and c but close door to it when I am not able to supervise such as when out or at night. He would still have a run in there just not as big. Unless I put the roof so half is fixed and it closes to middle as it would be unlikely he could jump to the middle as nothing to climb there. I am going to drapes some fleece throws over tonight but I’m sure his claws will grip it.

He is so adorable but he is is actually a little s*** too lol

He is so adorable but he is is actually a little s*** too lol
Definitely descibes all my rabbits :lol: Where the lid is hinged, you could secure the open part with a clothes peg, bulldog clip, wire closure (like for freezer bags), even a small carabiner or similar. A small cage isn't enough space really, they need 60 square feet minimum. They're often just as active at night as during the day as well!

Lopsy loved to actually climb when he was able :D My OH witnessed him climbing the side of his run (bearing in mind he weighed 2.5kg) when we had him convalescing in the attic and despite our efforts to prevent it the next day or so we came home to find he had climbed up the side (he had an open-topped pen on the outside of his closed run for a bit of extra space), hopped off the top and eaten hay out of the bag all day. He was so thirsty he didn't even complain about being picked back up :lol: We ended up putting loose-ish chicken wire all the way round so he couldn't step on it safely. He's now 7 and can still jump 3' easily but is a bit less climby.

I would recommend puppy pen panels. We use them on our lawn and have used them very effectily inside as well. They're hinged on the side and the 90cm ones are just about tall enough. Then peg a sheet over the top. But if he's not got enough space, he will just keep jumping out, or bar biting, or a variety of other behaviours. The largest (collapsible) dog crate we've got is 2'x3' and it's far too small to keep a healthy animal in for any length of time. Our other is a little smaller and we had a convalescing bunny in overnight this week because it was so cold outside (he's 1.6kg to give you an idea of size): https://twitter.com/keletkezes/status/1407090554677170180

Back