• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best hay racks

Hi I'm looking to get a free standing hay rack/box for when my pair have bonded and for Mischief to use for the time being. I'm struggling with my health and can't face scrolling through the internet so thought I would cheat and ask for tips [emoji38]

The hay rack we have is pretty useless so we have been using a small litter tray for now but he chucks it everywhere and causes a right mess!

What hay boxes do you use and are they any good? We need one for bunnies to access either side really so they don't argue and preferably does not make too much mess!

Or some ideas of how to prevent mess when they are using hay rack would be good too.

We also need a house (preferably wooden I think) so if you know of good houses to fit 2 giant french lops in that also include a hay rack with it that would be fantastic.

Thank you x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'm thinking an underbed storage box would be good. Obviously an extra large one to fit both hefties in [emoji4] We can put herbs and stuff in aswell so they can forage which is more natural I guess.

I currently use wood litter in litter boxes with hay on top and he eats that. The hay is to protect his hocks. He has a small litter tray next to him in his sleeping area aswell.

Thank you for the bump and finding old posts for me Zoobec [emoji173]

I like hay racks that let the bunnies stick their heads in the hay, as they like searching for the tastiest bits, and I figure that the easier it is for them to reach the hay, the more they'll eat. So, Casper and Sophie have one like this:

2314292070.jpg

(https://www.asaswood.com/Rabbit-Hay-Rack-p263108086)

But I have to say that I don't think I've ever seen one of those big enough for large rabbits like Mischief and his future friend. I've used wooden and plastic containers as well, to just fill with hay and put on the floor, and that way they can eat from every direction, but you'd probably have to make sure it's too small for them to sit in or they'll likely pee in it, and with a baby bunny that might be a bit tricky because something big enough to contain enough hay for Mischief would be big enough for the baby to sit in, I'm guessing... And plastic containers are quite light, so Mischief might just throw those around, too. Maybe something wooden would work, though? Like, one of these, maybe?

knagglig-box-pine__0906850_pe429607_s4.jpg

They're from IKEA and come in two sizes: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/knagglig-box-pine-10292357/ and https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/knagglig-box-pine-70292359/

I also always give Sophie and Casper a big pile of hay in their litter tray, though, and they honestly prefer that to eating from a hay rack, because they can really forage for the nicest bits, so I'd say you don't even really need a hay rack if you just get a really big litter tray that has enough room for them to eat hay at one end of the tray and do their business at the other end. That way the hay will still stay clean.

I don't think I've ever seen a wooden bunny house anywhere that's big enough for two French lops! Maybe look for a house for small dogs? And then make a second exit in it yourself, since bunnies prefer multiple exits?

I like the idea of the Ikea crates [emoji16] Mischief is really good and doesn't pee in any containers with hay in except his litter tray. He is a super clean bunny although we can't guarantee baby will be the same. Hopefully she will learn from Mischief [emoji6]

I think I will just get a size that they can both reach to start with. I can get a bigger one later. But I do love the wood rather than plastic to stop him chucking it. We are changing blankets every day to keep his wound clean and within minutes he had chucked his litter tray about last night and made a mess! [emoji38]

I already do the hay thing in litter tray and it works well for Mischief so I will have a couple of super size litter trays with lids and hay in them. And then the Ikea crate(s) would work well.

Thank you so much xx

I'm starting to wonder about a house being a good idea. It will have to be big enough for 2 wouldn't it? Otherwise they may argue. Then it would take up so much room.

Perhaps a little low wooden coffee table would work with a cloth draped over it somehow? Then I could create 2 exits and if it is low they could sit on the table aswell. Does that sound like a good plan?

I could create steps on to the table and have a hay area or something on the table aswell maybe [emoji6]

I use an ikea coffee table and my guys love it with a blanket underneath. Something like this but pine.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/609...7c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ixilatxwr&istBid=t

We also have the big bunny house from the hay experts.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/the-big-bunny-house.html

Pricey but has lasted us ages and is still doing well.

I've been thinking about this for a hay rack.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kvistbro-storage-table-white-30349452/

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I reckon a coffee table would be perfect. My buns have always free ranged but they've never had a house. During the day they do like to snooze under something - any furniture really. I like my litter trays / hay racks in the corner of a room - less spread :lol:

I love the house but to be honest a coffee table works just as well and less than half the price! We have a lot to pay out to get everything sorted. I love the pine table though! [emoji4]

I reckon Mr Chief would love that hay rack. He used to eat hay that we stuck in the bars of his cage. It would be a great hay rack for a corner of the room too.

We intend to put flooring down in the kitchen as it is slippery at the moment and Mischief won't go in there. We have a really long narrow hallway from our bedroom to the kitchen so by having flooring down hopefully we can increase his running space.

We are going to put toys and another house/hay rack in the kitchen to create another bunny space so they have plenty of hidey holes. So that house would be a fun addition later for the kitchen! [emoji16]

The kitchen also opens out into the yard and we are intending to sort the yard out and grow weeds/grasses in long troughes along the sides of the yard. So we need to kit out the yard with housing area eventually aswell.

They will have their own bunny flat with rooms [emoji178]

Back