• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Flopsy -ear shaking.. Update Op Monday

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Hi all, today flopsy is head/ear shaking not constant but every minute or so I really don't know what's up . I believe he's lost a bit of weight and he doesn't seem to be moving about as well as he normally does . He's 6 now , he's had 2 dentals . The last dental he had was in April then he had an xray beginning of may that showed he had root problems so has been on 0.4ml metacam since.

I'm fearing it's E.cuniculi :( here's a video of him shaking his ears he does it a couple of times at the beginning then at the end , ignore me making strange noises. I'm so worried :(

Every minute or so I really don't know what's up . I believe he's lost a bit of weight and he doesn't seem to be moving about as well as he normally does.He's 6 now , he's had 2 dentals . The last dental he had was in April then he had an xray beginning of may that showed he had root problems so has been on 0.4ml metacam since .

Last edited:
He's very cute. I think he appears to be holding his left ear in an odd position, so is it ear mites or an infection?

Im going to be watching this thread closely, because this is what Rupert has been doing, is he sticking his paw right in his ear?!?!!?!

The emergecny vet didn't seem to be listening to me when I was asking them to check his ears!!!! Its awful to watch isn't it - is it a symptom of ec? I know head tilt is, but didn't realise this was too ?

get him to your vets and they can check for an infection, best get him on treatment as it could get worse and then cause his head to tilt, they can also check for ec too, ec symptoms are head tilt but not always a headtilt

let us know ho wyou get on, it looks like he has an infecton and looks very uncomfortable shakng his head

~How did you get on at the vets this morning?

Rupert was at the vets too (and i asked about him doing this) the vet had a look but there's nothing in his ear at all) - we think its getting itchy when he's digging his head in his hay

How did things go at the vets? Hope Flopsy is ok... My latest rescue was doing this also (noticed him doing it at the rescue that's why I took him) and he had a nasty ear infection, but has cleared up with AB's and still shakes his ears a bit but not as much as he was

Going to keep an eye on this thread too as I noticed Bella doing this more frequently than usual, although she also kept scratching her ear.

Update - Sorry it is late!

Hi everyone sorry did not update you all earlier, I had typed it out on my phone then it wiped it for some reason :roll: anyway Flopsy's ears were checked they are quite red inside and there was some puss but because of his ears being quite curvy it was difficult for our vet to get a good look, Flopsy also has several spurs and has lost 200g of weight so he is in on Monday for a dental and for his ears to be checked thoroughly. I get the impression that there is nothing seriously wrong with the ears and it might just be connected to his dental problems :? anyway he has gone 9 months since his last dental and for a bunny who barely eats any hay I suppose that is great, this will be his third dental all 3 have had a 9 month gap so I suppose he is not a severe dental bun? Lots of vibes for Flopsy on Monday please

My Max was doing EXACTLY that a few weeks ago, shaking his head and itching his ears every few minutes.

Vet checked his ears which were inflamed inside, and a weeks course of antibiotic and steroid ear drops cleared it up nicely :wave:

My Max was doing EXACTLY that a few weeks ago, shaking his head and itching his ears every few minutes.

Vet checked his ears which were inflamed inside, and a weeks course of antibiotic and steroid ear drops cleared it up nicely :wave:

Glad your max is better now :thumb: Flopsy is on 0.4ml of metacam twice daily for his life anyway for his dental root problems so hopefully they should be helping his ears, if not im sure the vet will give us some drops on monday :)

Back