• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex, sore hocks

BettyLu

Alpha Buck
Took Patrick to vets for jabs. Vet couldnt get his ring off :/
He's fine aside from that, but he has slightly sore hocks. He lives inside on new carpet with hay and blankets. Any other tips to stop them getting sore?

Took Patrick to vets for jabs. Vet couldnt get his ring off :/
He's fine aside from that, but he has slightly sore hocks. He lives inside on new carpet with hay and blankets. Any other tips to stop them getting sore?

Change the set up from the carpet this tends to make the hocks sore, as the fibres that it's made of can 'rub' the fur off the feet and make them sore.
Bailey is a mini rex and gets slightly sore hocks and Angel his partner is a lionhead rew and her hocks are so bad.
I used to have them both living in my room, where I has a deep litter tray with lots of hay and fleeces on the floor.
This wasn't good enough to stop them from getting sore, so I moved the into my living room where I have a ferplast cage filled deep with lots of hay, a litter tray filled with hay, and fleees on the ground for them.
I have noticed a huge difference with them moving into the new set up, as I was treating both their feet with flamizine from the vet and it wasn't helping angel to improve. Now she is :)
I try not to put too much flamizine on bailey's hocks as the way the rex fur grows it's very delicate and can stop growing if the cream is applied too much.
I'll post pics of the current set up for you to see :)

Thank you! That would be ace cakes! I have just laid a big fleece blanket in his home on your advice. Hopefully it will stop his feets getting any worse :)

WP_000151_zps3583db74.jpg

WP_000150_zpsab0498af.jpg

Took these while in the middle of cleaning out there litter trays, there's more hay in it so it's nice and deep.

WP_000149_zpsfdb6cf32.jpg

WP_000148_zps639863d5.jpg

The reason having the deep bed of hay helps is because if you look at their feet they are perfectly designed to be on grass where the nails can sink in.
When they are on floors manufactured by man it is generally hard and has no 'give'. This means the nails keep the buns feet off the ground, and more weight is put onto their hocks causing brusing and redness and sometimes ulcers, like blister's if you imagine.
So nice deep beds of hay really helps :)

Thank you! I have changed his set up to something similar, cant do much about it when he runs around the flat like a loon though, shame I can't put little bunny shoes on him haha

Thank you! I have changed his set up to something similar, cant do much about it when he runs around the flat like a loon though, shame I can't put little bunny shoes on him haha

running around on normal floors is fine as long as the feet have the opportunity to rest if you get what I mean, :)

Back