• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

John -Joe-Sore Hock Nightmare

I remember the dressings you made for Lady Lydia...they were so professional and there was always a nice pattern or design on the outer. :) She was an exemplary patient.

Don't let us have to set you on the norty step, John-Joe...behave, laddie, it's for your own good. *wags finger*

Walli also has sore hocks that doesn't heal whatever I do so I really sympathize. I have tried bandaging but he got so upset he got gut stasis. A while ago when the skin broke and I was desperate I tried theese socks instead. It worked much better for him than the bandage and he isn't so upset with them. He has chewed the velcro of but it actually stays on even without the velcro and when the velcro is of he doesn't chew them. If I sew new velcro on he chews it of again. The hocks hasn't healed but they are kind of under control at least.
We have socks from both places I link to. The upper one are the ones we use most. They feel softest but they are expensive. The bottom link is a lady that sews them with your rabbits exact measurements (if she still does it, was a while since I ordered them) so they are a good fit. The upper ones are bigger so maybe easier to take of.

https://www.wrabb-it.com/en/products/wrabbit-socks-par-en-hojre-og-en-venstre

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EQFnoECBUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0eyF7LJI883tOeAUGV0W9G

Others suggested spray on bandage. Here they sell a brush on form. It would not add padding, yet would keep it clean.
Sending jj lots of vibes.

Last edited:
Walli also has sore hocks that doesn't heal whatever I do so I really sympathize. I have tried bandaging but he got so upset he got gut stasis. A while ago when the skin broke and I was desperate I tried theese socks instead. It worked much better for him than the bandage and he isn't so upset with them. He has chewed the velcro of but it actually stays on even without the velcro and when the velcro is of he doesn't chew them. If I sew new velcro on he chews it of again. The hocks hasn't healed but they are kind of under control at least.
We have socks from both places I link to. The upper one are the ones we use most. They feel softest but they are expensive. The bottom link is a lady that sews them with your rabbits exact measurements (if she still does it, was a while since I ordered them) so they are a good fit. The upper ones are bigger so maybe easier to take of.

https://www.wrabb-it.com/en/products/wrabbit-socks-par-en-hojre-og-en-venstre

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EQFnoECBUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0eyF7LJI883tOeAUGV0W9G

Thanks, I did look at these but I am certain he would just go crazy trying to get them off. Unless I sat watching him 24/7 I fear he could come to serious harm as he gets himself into such a state :cry:

Thanks, I did look at these but I am certain he would just go crazy trying to get them off. Unless I sat watching him 24/7 I fear he could come to serious harm as he gets himself into such a state :cry:

I underständ :( Really difficult situation. Sending lots of healing vibes for him!

What about fleece cone? Would he tolerate it? And another oriduct after the wound is healed. Ask your vet if this would be Ok to use. It is ment for dog and cat paws. Ado Quatro https://www.miscota.co.uk/dogs/calier/ado-quatro-70ml

AFoeevF.jpg

:cry:

6awuxHj.jpg

Last edited:
Poor JJ.

I remember Lady Lydia's bandages. Babydarling had always been prone to sore hocks. Because he bounces on various shelves there would be blood everywhere. Thank goodness his hocks are ok at the moment.

Oh poor JJ!

He looks fed up doesn't he. Is he usually a chewer or is it just because the bandages irritate him?

Does he mind bitter apple spray type products that might put him off eating at them?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Oh poor JJ!

He looks fed up doesn't he. Is he usually a chewer or is it just because the bandages irritate him?

Does he mind bitter apple spray type products that might put him off eating at them?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

It is having something on his legs that freaks him out. Tried again with bandages today but he got so stressed he stopped eating :cry:

I have removed the bandage and I am now on watch for gut stasis

Aw, poor lad. I hope he doesn't have stasis. :(
Jane, I know you do everything to keep his surfaces as soft as possible and I don't recall his age, don't think he's old enough for back problems, but does he have an odd gait or stance that could've contributed to his hocks wearing down like that? I know Fiver had a bent way of standing for many years but can't remember what came first: that or his hocks wearing thin. Bunnies' feet sometimes begin to bring to mind how car tires wear unevenly in certain spots due to how they're balanced or set. It's a goofy analogy but I think rexes seems to manifest early signs of back trouble through having worn or furless areas on their feet.

I know rexes are prone to this condition due to the nature of their pelt, so I'm most likely talking out of my hat but I'm as flummoxed as you are as to how to address it. I take it even wee doggy socks won't work because he simply wants nothing on his feet. :(

Could Manuka honey have an application here? Or would that be bad for him to lick it off?

Aw, poor lad. I hope he doesn't have stasis. :(
Jane, I know you do everything to keep his surfaces as soft as possible and I don't recall his age, don't think he's old enough for back problems, but does he have an odd gait or stance that could've contributed to his hocks wearing down like that? I know Fiver had a bent way of standing for many years but can't remember what came first: that or his hocks wearing thin. Bunnies' feet sometimes begin to bring to mind how car tires wear unevenly in certain spots due to how they're balanced or set. It's a goofy analogy but I think rexes seems to manifest early signs of back trouble through having worn or furless areas on their feet.

I know rexes are prone to this condition due to the nature of their pelt, so I'm most likely talking out of my hat but I'm as flummoxed as you are as to how to address it. I take it even wee doggy socks won't work because he simply wants nothing on his feet. :(

Could Manuka honey have an application here? Or would that be bad for him to lick it off?

No signs of any spinal problems at all. Unfortunately some Rex Breed lines are more likely to develop sore hocks. IME if they get to 1 year of age with no fur thinning over the hocks then the problem is less likely to occur as long as they are housed on an appropriate substrate.

Manuka honey is really only an option if dressings can be used. Normally I would use Flamazine, but the last time I did that JJ developed neurological problems ( he would lick the Flamazine off). Whilst I don’t know for certain his neurological problems were due to Flamazine toxicity it is possible. He was treated for EC, but I am very reluctant to use Flamazine on him again. At the moment I am using Sudocrem and he is also on Metacam.

Ah crikey, no easy winning with this one. It's not like you can get him used to stuff on his legs same as you can e.g. picking them up :S Some sort of Instant Fix would be good but beyond confining him to some sort of actual restraining jig and inevitably having to feed him gut meds and recovery food etc., it's not going to work :S It's not like you can sneak them on while he sleeps for 12hrs either!

Best of luck, I hope you can come to some sort of compromise with him for his own sake xxxx

Have you tried anything like bitter apple spray which is intended to stop animals chewing things? I found the 'proper' bitter apple works better than some of the immitations, but that was for dogs. I've used it on my belongings that I didn't want puppy to chew, and on Tshirts which were protecting wounds. You don't need much and the aftertaste is horrible - yes, I've accidentally tasted it. Don't know if it will work with rabbits, though, or if there is any taste / smell that will stop them chewing through dressings without other side effects. I wouldn't want it to cause stasis.

Have you tried anything like bitter apple spray which is intended to stop animals chewing things? I found the 'proper' bitter apple works better than some of the immitations, but that was for dogs. I've used it on my belongings that I didn't want puppy to chew, and on Tshirts which were protecting wounds. You don't need much and the aftertaste is horrible - yes, I've accidentally tasted it. Don't know if it will work with rabbits, though, or if there is any taste / smell that will stop them chewing through dressings without other side effects. I wouldn't want it to cause stasis.

TBH the stress of having the bandages on is enough to make him stop eating. He goes absolutely frantic :cry:

Back