• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Urine colour.... is it linked to illness?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hello everyone i am a little worried about Scruffy. He went to the vets on wednesday to have his teeth filed and the vet checked him all over and felt underneath etc. She said he was fine. However today i noticed when he was out in the run he had done a few wees and they were all clear coloured. Usually he has a little bit of yellow tint to his urine and i was wondering if this is anything to worry about? I have heard conflicting things about urine colouring and what is or isn't concerning. Could anyone help please?

diet can afffect the colour of urine, so has your bunny had any less carrots etc that may make the urine more orangy in appearance

Is he drinking more than usual ?

Did he have his Dental done under GA ?

No GA, he only had his front ones filed. He has to have it done every 4-5 weeks. The vet checked him over and said all was good on wednesday. He has drank 75ml since i changed the water this morning. That is around what he usually drinks. I did the dehydration test by pulling the skin behind the neck (the vet showed us once before with one of our other rabbits) and he is defiitely not dehydrated. He has eaten all his pellets. The rabbits haven't had any veg for a few days though so that may be a possible reason?

I looked up websites about kidney problems as i thought that may be it but all the ones i found listed multiple symptoms that Scruffy is not showing. Main one being eating. He ate some broccoli just now normally and was very alert. I checked for urine scald underneath as well and found no sign of wetting himself. We checked for head tilt in case E. cuniculi was a cause but no his head is fine. I am confused he seems to be his normal self with the only exception being the clear urine. I now think i might be panicking when there isn't an issue?

My bunny always has very orange urine which always worried me until I found out that dandelion fresh or dried gives them very orange wee and he has dried dandelion every day:roll:

If your bun hasn't had his usual veggies that make wee coloured then this could be the answer.

My bunny always has very orange urine which always worried me until I found out that dandelion fresh or dried gives them very orange wee and he has dried dandelion every day:roll:

If your bun hasn't had his usual veggies that make wee coloured then this could be the answer.

Yeah the rabbits usually have a yellowish tint to thier urine but it isn't thick like a paste it is still liquidy. I know that if it is yellow-white and thick that is sign of too much calcium content. Harmony has had issues with calcium a few times so i know what to look out for if it is a calcium problem.

So is clear urine alright then? I checked on Scurffy again and he is acting his usual self and couldn't wait for his night time food. I brought him into the house a few hours before we covered the rabbits for the night and he was very alert. He wasn't making any tooth grinding sounds that indicated being in pain. He was dry underneath as well. If it was a problem wouldn't he be wetting himself? If it is a problem then wouldn't the vet have found it on wednesday?

Just keep an eye on him as you're doing but he sounds fine.
If you are worries though and want your mind at ease you can pop to the vet towns they'll be Able to advise you better.

Just keep an eye on him as you're doing but he sounds fine.
If you are worries though and want your mind at ease you can pop to the vet towns they'll be Able to advise you better.

Well i think i might need to take him to the vets tomorrow. He is acting alright, he has eaten all his pellets. He is being his usual self running around in the run today. He has done a yellowish tint wee today instead of clear. We checked for dehydration and he isn't. We even felt him underneath for any sign of a hard lump that could indicate problems but found none. He also wasn't all wet underneath.

The only thing i cannot explain is that he has drunk more than normal. So this is why i think a vet trip is likely.

I find that the yellow/orange colour is only a reflection of their diet.
The white chalky component reflects either high calcium intake or dehydration.
Reduced volume of urine is also a very good index of dehydration.

In rabbits kidney & liver probs usually with increased drinking & increased urine output.
Lots of little wees or straining to wee can mean a bladder full of sludge or infection in the bladder.

This is absolutely normal urine from a rabbit on a completely foraged diet. He'd had complete examination & blood test the previous day.
DSCF5084.jpg

hope this helps.

Back