• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Warning: Newbie* Questions About a Housing Setup for Rex Rabbits

Well I might be getting two Rex Rabbits (I believe they're minis, but I'm not sure) from my cousin. I'd like to know if the setup they currently use for their rabbits would work so we can just duplicate it. Currently, they have a decently large area of their shed (maybe 5 feet by 4 feet?) that is fenced in with wire and wood. The floor is just cement. I've heard Rexes get sore hocks easily, is that true? And any recommendations of preventing this? They have their hutches open during the day with mini staircases leading up to them for easy access. Should I let the rabbits stay out of their hutches all the time, even at night, or should they be put away at night? And it's currently very cold here. I'm a little worried about them being in the garage, it'll be warmer than the outside, but we can't have a heater going all night. Any recommendations to make it warmer for them? And should I put bedding in their hutches, or does it matter? They'd be in a garage. Every once and awhile (not at all often) a car would drive up. I've heard rabbits get scared to heartattacks easily. Would an occasional car?

Thanks for any help! I've never owned any sort of rodent, so I'd really like to get as much information as I can before I get one. Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Would the car be going into the garage? If yes then this is not good as the fumes would be bad for the buns

Firstly rabbits are not rodents! They are lagomorphs :p If you have never owned one before then I would say that rexes are a bad first bun. I think you should do a lot of research on rabbits before thinking about taking them on, rabbits are quite difficult to look after and can be very expensive! Are these rabbits vaccinated and neutered? What sex are they and how old are they?

As for accommodation...a playhouse/shed is ideal with 24 hour access to a large run (this is usually via a cat flap). I'm not entirely sure what is best for rex rabbits to be housed on but I believe carpet can cause them problems as can hard, rough surfaces. A few members have rexes and can better advise you on this :)

Hello again :p

The basically are that the minimum recommended hutch size is 6ft by 2ft by 2ft attached to a 8X4ft run that is at least 2ft high and they have constant access to. It seems like a lot in numbers but a rabbit should be able to make 3 hops in their cage, in a medium sized bun three hops can easily cover 6-7 foot! :shock:

There is lots of ideas and information in this thread
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing

Good luck!

Yes it is true that rex rabbits can be more prone to sore hocks, providing soft bedding can help that as can keeping their nails trimmed so that their foot lies as flat as possible and providing cushioned flooring, grass, horse mats, a lot of people use those foam floor pieces for kids that look like jigsaw pieces. Or a layer of hay or staw works perfectly well. If your buns aren't overly prone to it then you may not need to bother with any of the above, it is something you will need to keep checking!

Yes it is true that rex rabbits can be more prone to sore hocks, providing soft bedding can help that as can keeping their nails trimmed so that their foot lies as flat as possible and providing cushioned flooring, grass, horse mats, a lot of people use those foam floor pieces for kids that look like jigsaw pieces. Or a layer of hay or staw works perfectly well. If your buns aren't overly prone to it then you may not need to bother with any of the above, it is something you will need to keep checking!

Can you explain what I should be looking for? Are there any physical signs of a rabbit developing sore hocks?

Can you explain what I should be looking for? Are there any physical signs of a rabbit developing sore hocks?

There will be a bald patch on their "heel" which can get very red a raw and in extreme cases may bleed and become infected. The best way to check them is to look at their feet whilst the bunnies are flopped out.

The hock is the back part of their back foot, if they are getting sore first a patch will go bald, then go red and sore looking then they can crack, bleed and actually develop into sores which can be very painful :(

Every bun is different, a small bald patch may never go away, but any redness, soreness or bleeding should be treated by a vet. If its a recurring thing then the vet may give you instructions of how to deal with it at home. But until the vet gives you the go ahead for self treating please go to see one.

I have two mini rex rabbits. They were my first bunnies too. One of them, Molly has sore hocks. Her hocks are bald, and they can get red and inflamed, and sometimes she gets abscesses. But I put aloe vera gel on her hocks and this seems to help soothe them. If she worsens, she visits the vet and gets treatment. I'd definitely recommend seeing a vet when you get the rabbits, to check for sore hocks and general health. Rexes can also be prone to GI stasis and heart problems. My rexes have also had dental spurs.

As bedding and flooring, I use Megazorb litter in the hutch, covered with a thick layer of soft hay. In their run, they have foam mats with a thick layer of hay everywhere. This seems to prevent her hocks worsening, and its soft for her to stand on.

Sore hocks is best avoided, so provide lots of hay, and use vetbed on the ramps. IMO a rex rabbit shouldn't have any area of hard standing.

I have two mini rex rabbits. They were my first bunnies too. One of them, Molly has sore hocks. Her hocks are bald, and they can get red and inflamed, and sometimes she gets abscesses. But I put aloe vera gel on her hocks and this seems to help soothe them. If she worsens, she visits the vet and gets treatment. I'd definitely recommend seeing a vet when you get the rabbits, to check for sore hocks and general health. Rexes can also be prone to GI stasis and heart problems. My rexes have also had dental spurs.

As bedding and flooring, I use Megazorb litter in the hutch, covered with a thick layer of soft hay. In their run, they have foam mats with a thick layer of hay everywhere. This seems to prevent her hocks worsening, and its soft for her to stand on.

Sore hocks is best avoided, so provide lots of hay, and use vetbed on the ramps. IMO a rex rabbit shouldn't have any area of hard standing.

Thank you very much! ^^

Back