• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stevie is poorly!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I went to give Stevie his tea and he was not looking well, he us deafvsnd practically blind. Not looking at his tea. I called the vet, and to be honest did not want to risk taking Stevie out in this weather in case we got stuck ( also didn't want to risk the vet either) I spoke to the vet and he said I could drive down to my surgery ( I work there so have keys) and he told me how much of metochlopromide, Metacam and Zantac to inject. I also git fibreplex. Now Stevie has had a sore willy so on vets recommendations I've been putting sudecream on it the last couple of days, so i wonder if this has upset his tummy. Thankfully we didn't take Stevie out as the car could not get back up the track and we would have had to carry him in gales to get home. I've just given him everything and his mouth is scabby too- I think he may have syphilis! None of my rabbits have ever exhibited this and he was in quarantine until after his dental- but I'm now worried about Daisy who has been alongside him in prep for bonding!
I'm hoping if I leave him now the meds will kick in and he will be into the vets tomorrow morning.
What do I need to know about syphilis?

Looks like the pain relief has kicked in, he's eating a carrot. Off to the vets tmorrow though.
I see that penicillin injections are treatment for syphilis, and I guess Daisy should be treated too?

Poor Stevie :cry:

If he has Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphilis) then the usual treatment is a course of Penicillin injections, one a week for 3-6 weeks. Pain relief is also likely to be required whilst the lesions are active.

I don't know what to do. Stevie is clearly not himself but is picking at food, I can't tell if he is passing as I didn't think to fully clean his bed last night.
I don't want to drive him into the vet on my own as our roads are bad. Mike has just made it to work so it's taken him 2 hours instead of 1 and that's the main road. I don't even know if they will send a vet to my branch today?
If I wait for mike to get home, we can go in the landie, much as I hate putting wee furries in it, and if we do get stuck, at least one can concentrate on Stevie, while the other sorts out the car.
I really hate the snow.

Oh no poor little Stevie. I really hope that he can be helped and gets better very soon.

Sorry, I've no experience on rabbit syphilis.

Tender noserubs to Stevie. xxx

He's booked in to see Andrew at 3.30, it's getting quite bad outside now and I stuck on our track coming home from work, I had to lift to tracks in the snow to get the car home. I'm sure the landie will do it but I start work at 4 and I do not want to take the wee car out again- I guess if I'm late the vet will have to open my branch ( assuming there is a vet, lots if appointments are being cancelled and we have none today so far. If no appointments the vet doesn't come to my surgery)
Stevie has had metochlopromide and Zantac again.
It's a blizzard just now!

Sorry I missed this thread before. How is he now?

Thank you for asking.
Andrew, the vet thinks he has syphilis and secondary ilieus. He has had sub- cut fluids, Metacam, gut stimulants and penicillin. He us still not keen to eat but is much more feisty this evening ( so more like himself.)
He has a course of meds and the main aim is to get him eating, and also hopefully treat the syphilis too.
We can only assume that he has been carrying this and the stress of being rehomed and going through a dental has stressed him and its come to the fore. I am still unhappy that he is not eating, but at least he's seen a vet now ( very dodgy driving and it's going to be worse tomorrow, some local areas suffering from drifting have cars covered over with snow! If it freezes its going to be lethal.)

Can you get a good probiotic into him eg Fibreplex. Penicillin given to a Rabbit already in gut stasis increases the risk of gut dysbiosis so getting as much fibre into him as possible is pretty essential.

If you dont have any Fibreplex then you could try to make a slurry feed to syringe into him. The feed can be made by soaking some pellets in boiling water, mash into a paste and add a a cecotroph from another healthy adult Rabbit. Mix it all well and add a bit more water if necessary to achieve a consistency suitable for syringe feeding.

Thanks Jane, should have said, he us on fibreplex too. I'm not syringe feeding him yet as he is much brighter and having a wee nibble but may start today.

Yeah, I checked in him when I got home and he hopped away and started eating a excel pellet, he put up a big fight getting his fibreplex this morning too.

Back