• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Disharge

Lil & Ron's Mum

Warren Scout
My friend has a bunny who is nearly 11, she has been as fit as a fiddle until recently.
She started with a slight discharge from her eye, then developed an abscess on her nose (which effected her breathing) which she had to have lanced. She then stopped eating, Claire Syringe fed her for a week in between vet appointments,then the vet said that it was time for her to go to heaven, Claire refused and took her home. She started eating on her own a couple of days later, 4 months later she is still here.

I went to see her to take her bunnies presents, and Lucy's face is all swollen with the abscess again, her eyes are weeping,her breathing is snuffly with all the eye discharge- but she has now got a discharge from down below.
It looks like frog spawn. I've looked it up on the internet, and all I can find is that it's down to poor diet!
But Claire doesn't want to take her to the vets as she doesn't want to put Lucy thru the stress of having her face drained, or the vet telling her that she needs PTS.
She is letting Lucy eat what she wants as she is Ill (hence ? poor diet). But she is still enjoying life. we know it's only a matter of time.
Has any body else's bun have discharge or experienced it.

She does love her bunny very much and money is no option, it's just the thought of what they would make her do.
I don't think she will be here much longer, but I thought that 4 months ago, she has had the abscess drained twice now and it still returns, and she doesn't want her to be operated on again.

Yes, Abbey at Royston, But she thinks they will either put her to sleep, or make her have her face lanced, but she wants her to be happy for the rest of her (short) life.

Tell her to go see Rebecca at the Cudworth branch she's very good with bunnys

Tell her to go see Rebecca at the Cudworth branch she's very good with bunnys

She does see Rebecca sometimes, Rebecca refused to drain it the last time, but when she rushed her back another vet took her straight to surgery
(I use to use Rebecca but swapped after a problem, but it was not with Rebecca!, But yes she is good with bunnies)

Yes, Abbey at Royston, But she thinks they will either put her to sleep, or make her have her face lanced, but she wants her to be happy for the rest of her (short) life.

Poor bun wont be happy if she is in pain though, which Im sure she must be :( She definatly needs vet attention x

Back