• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In it out?

Bella&Travis

Young Bun
What do you think the RABBIT genuinely prefers? Living inside, or out...given they could get the same amount of exercise and attention, which would the RABBIT prefer?

Depends on the rabbit. I know mine are too highly strung for outdoors living, but did I make them that way or is it just the way they are? I'm not sure. Either way, I think they can be tremendously happy with both.

My guys like either... If I could completely bunny proof the house, they would be house buns. But I can't so they live in their shed outside with their run. I think if they were house buns they would get ALOT more attention than they do now. There would be constant interaction with them whereas ATM they get maybe 2-4 hours a day.

My outdoor rabbits prefer being outside, my indoors prefer indoors. My outdoors came in after neuter/spay and they hated it.. Weed everywhere, smelt horrible and generally looked bored. The indoors enjoy the human contact but I imagine Leo would be happy outside if he had a friend.

It depends on the rabbits. I know one of mine would love it inside, but the other two would prefer being outside by a mile.

Hector has lived in from the off. He quite genuinely won't go outside - I have left the door open and he is just plain not interested. Actually, making the outside secure would be difficult so it suits me not to have to try. Still, when one has a sofa, a bed upstairs, a dog cushion in the kitchen, unlimited food, company, a huge box house and a pile of news papers to rip, who needs the cold and wet outdoors?!?

Rupert wants to live inside, he likes his homely comforts - sofas, carpets, radiators and heating pipes!
Tia - outside, she prefers having her own space

Mine wouldn't mind either way I don't think.

They like that they have lots of grass when they are outdoors but they also race around the house when the have previously popped in to see me :lol:

In the summer after work and on weekends by back door is usually open (only when I am at home) and when Leo or Missy are free ranging then usually pop in and out the house to say hello! Sometimes they have even invited themselves upstairs into my bedroom and jumped on the bed to say hello :lol:

I only have one rabbit and she's indoors so wouldn't put her out on her own. If I wanted an outdoor rabbit I would have got two.

She goes outside in the summer to eat grass and play when I'm around during the day but if she's been out there a long time I can tell she wants to come in. She just sits there looking a bit bored and lonely! I put the carrier down and she jumps in.

I think she likes both but wouldn't want to stay outside and I want her bouncing around the house with me anyway.

Bugsy hated being an indoor bunny, I live in quite a busy house so I think all the noise just got a bit much for him. He absolutely adores being outside and is super chilled out now :love:

My indoor buns started out as outdoor buns...we lost one of a pair so I moved the remaining one inside and she has really come out of her shell since moving indoors :love: she now has a lovely husbun and will likely be moving back into the garden in the spring...the rest of my buns are outdoors :) I love having indoor buns though...very tempted to have some permenant indoor buns :love:

I don't think my Inca would cope outside being so poorly. Herbie just freezes in the one spot any time I take him outside.
I think my two prefer in :)

My two really dislike indoor living, on the odd occasion I've brought them in, post op and once in summer when the rain was so bad they were practically floating round the garden they have spent the whole time hiding. Most likely down to our two squeely little girls and the cat! Much more content outside with each other for company.
About 10 years ago I had a single buck and he loved being indoors, he was like a mini dog. Maybe because I was his only company, and also there were no children on the scene.

Back