• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms?

cm85

Warren Scout
Hello all. Pudding just pooped a little on the sofa and whilst clearing it I noticed what looked to me like a tiny white worm. It wasn't moving and got thinner at one end. OH thought it might be undigested food but I don't think so. Google isn't helping much but I've found one picture of pinworms and it looked similar. So, what do we need to do? Is there a way to check for sure that it's worms or do we just go ahead and treat him? He's not behaving any differently to usual.

I'd go to the vets and take the sample with you. Are the genital areas red or inflammed and I think this is also a symptom. I guess you'll be given pancur if it is worms and maybe some ointment for the inflamed area but someone with more experience than me will be able to help you.

Whenever doughnut's been unwell she's been given pancur as a safety precaution.

Thanks. We've just gone through his litter tray and there isn't any more signs of them. Checked his bottom and it looks normal. Unfortunately I chucked the thing that initially worried me! Could the vets tell without a sample?

I don't know if they can get pinworms without any symptoms such as irritation in the rear end or not. If they can then I guess the vet may not be able to tell but I guess you'll be given some medicine just in case Pudding has. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks :thumb: I've called the vets and they offer free nurse consultations, so he's booked in for one tomorrow morning. They can look him over, weigh him and sort out the right treatment. As you say, better safe than sorry.

I think you can only see them when they're freshly pooed out! They dry up so you mightn't see any in the tray.

You'll need a 9 day course of Panacur, usually sorts it all out! Not sure about a cleaning regime, but I cleaned and disinfected every day I think. Just the thought of the little things wriggling about.....yuk!

Good luck, but am sure it'll be fine!

Is it not a bit unpleasant for them though Toni? I can't see any soreness or anything but I assumed it might be itchy or mess with his appetite?

Well in humans (this is a distant biology class memory) the only symptom of pinworms is being a bit itchy, well that and the worms :mrgreen:

I'd imagine it would be similar for a bunster as he worms are literally wiggling around and irritating the poor thing. I would say a course f panacur just to be safe.

Oh and be extra careful with your hand hygiene, worms only get poo-ed out when they are dying (i think) and they lay eggs in the poo to spread pinworms around, and humans can get them, though they ar harmless!

Edit to say that I am not 100% sure that humans can contract worms from a bun, I know that humans can get them, but the could be a different subspecies or something :?

Last edited:
Thanks :) I'm definately taking him along tomorrow to get checked over, we'll see what the nurse says. I'd rather treat him and play it safe, I was working on the theory that Pud would have the same sort of discomfort a human would have too. Will try to be extra vigilant on the hygiene but I did catch myself giving him eskimo kisses earlier :lol:

Well in humans (this is a distant biology class memory) the only symptom of pinworms is being a bit itchy, well that and the worms :mrgreen:

I'd imagine it would be similar for a bunster as he worms are literally wiggling around and irritating the poor thing. I would say a course f panacur just to be safe.

Oh and be extra careful with your hand hygiene, worms only get poo-ed out when they are dying (i think) and they lay eggs in the poo to spread pinworms around, and humans can get them, though they ar harmless!

Edit to say that I am not 100% sure that humans can contract worms from a bun, I know that humans can get them, but the could be a different subspecies or something :?

Humans can't get pin worms from rabbits they are species specific x

One of my buns Flo had a heavy pinworm burden which was discovered after faecal samples were sent to an external lab. She recovered well on panacur (I treated all the rabbits to be on the safe side). Just a piece of advice for you - watch for gut stasis as Flo had this immediately after treatment, likely due to passing such a large volume of worms at once after treatment. I'm sure yours will be fine but just thought I'd mention it :)

Another reason to get them sorted is that while the worms don't cause probs in healthy rabbits, should any other illness strike, the worm population can then surge and deplete the rabbit's strength even further. I think you're definitely doing the right thing... :wave:

Rare complications can occur from pinworms- if their numbers multiply swiftly and there is an underlying gut problem they can cause a blockahe in the caecum. That said, over the years we've had many worms here and Panacur has sorted them all out.

Good luck with your appointment today :)

We're home. He's been looked over and weighed and told how gorgeous he is by the nurse :roll: We've got a 9 day course of Panacur, just in case :)

There's something else you can do to stop reinfestation.
The fresh herb thyme, deworms rabbits but it is slow & gentle to work. Giving a little daily will keep them clear.
There are other natural dewormers but they're more difficult to obtain.

Thanks, funnily enough thyme is one herb he doesn't like! But we might try to tempt him with some mixed in with other herbs :D

Thought I'd pop a little update here. We gave him the Panacur today (we didn't yesterday as we both had to go out for a bit in the evening and wanted to play it safe!) and he was brilliant. Stayed very still and carefully licked it off my finger :shock: He can't have it from the syringe as he's on a half dose. Very impressed with him!

Back