• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

There is a downstairs you know .....

Hi all,

I've recently introduced Blakey and Bingley into a nice new hutch. It's a double decker and when we move in a couple of weeks we'll be adding a permanent run to it.
However, I can't get them to go downstairs! I've put their litter tray down there and tried putting their favourite treat at the bottom of the ramp but nothing seems to be tempting them down. I've put Blakey downstairs and she can find her way back up, but won't go back down.
Bingley has lost his eyesight completely now, again only recently, and this is his first new hutch after being blind so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? It's why I keep putting Blakey downstairs as I know she can see to get back upstairs and I was hoping that her scent on the ramp would help guide Bingley around. But she seems to be determined to stay upstairs.
Feeling a bit at an impasse now and wondered if anyone has any advice please?
Thanks

Last edited:
i had the same with a pair of rabbits(although both could see),they would not use the ramp.i removed the ramp and put their little house under the opening.since then they use both floors jumping up on their hut then through the hole to the upper level.might not work though if 1 can't see.

Can you attach some carpet to the ramp so they have some grip? When mine were in hutches like that I put them in the bottom and they took no time jumping back up :)

When they get used to it they won't even use the ramp :lol: mine didn't! They just jumped over it to get up:lol:

Would it be possible for them to have a single level hutch as well as that one when you move? So they have 2 attached to the run? I imagine a single level would be easier for a bun with bad eyesight :)

In my other hutch I took the ramp out because it was quite steep (my buns can see) and replaced it with a stool and now Leo jumps up to the top level using that :thumb:

Thanks for your replies. :thumb:
We've modified the ramp to make it less slippy and Blakey has been managing it grand, it's just Bingley who seems to struggle, and unfortunately with him being completely blind I think he'd struggle even more with a stool :(

I'vs put him downstairs today to get used to it along with Blakey but she just kept wandering off upstairs and he got a bit panicky without her being there so ended up lifting him back upstairs. He did sit at the bottom of the ramp but when I tried to encourage him up it he just dug his paws in and refused to move. He even ignored his favourite treat which was really surprising!

So, I think your suggestion for a single hutch is going to be the best way forward - I was going to be getting another hutch for Bo and new partner when they come but I'll just give this one to him and sort another one.

If I had a blind bun I would be wantng a singled level hutch, i'd be worried bun would fall through the hole!

Back