• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My chinchillas having a sand bath. Not happy with Babydarlings eye. (bit dark)

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Its been a week now and although Babydarling is eating and active and not as bad as last time his eye is still not great. 50% there, so far. It doesn't look good in the video as recently gave him his eye abx and his fur is sticky around his eye, however, t should have healed better than this.

Looks like another eye flush. Hate seeing him like this. He is on painkillers. The chins usually have a regular sand bath but have avoided for a week due to his eye. He loved having a sand bath tonight.

They are such charming creatures. :love: Sending healing vibes for the poorly eye.

Why do they like a sand bath - is it like a bunny doing a happy flop?

They are such charming creatures. :love: Sending healing vibes for the poorly eye.

Why do they like a sand bath - is it like a bunny doing a happy flop?

Thanks Susie.

A sand bath is the only way they can clean their fur. Chinchillas have the densest fur of all mammals. So dense they cannot get fleas or ticks. The down side is that they cannot ever go in water, the weight of their fur would drag them down and they would drown.

The other problem is that that water or dampness can cause skin infections and fungi.

In the wild chinchillas bath in volcanic dust. That is what keeps their fur in top condition. You never see them grooming each other. I have seen Babydarling's daughter groom his eye after I put drops in but not in the way rabbits would groom each other.

Chins do the scary flop. :shock: All the time.

Thanks Susie.

A sand bath is the only way they can clean their fur. Chinchillas have the densest fur of all mammals. So dense they cannot get fleas or ticks. The down side is that they cannot ever go in water, the weight of their fur would drag them down and they would drown.

The other problem is that that water or dampness can cause skin infections and fungi.

In the wild chinchillas bath in volcanic dust. That is what keeps their fur in top condition. You never see them grooming each other. I have seen Babydarling's daughter groom his eye after I put drops in but not in the way rabbits would groom each other.

Chins do the scary flop. :shock: All the time.

That is fascinating. As you will have gathered I don't know much about chinchillas, indeed I have never seen one 'in the fur'. I can sort of sympathise with Babydarling as when I broke my arm a couple of years ago I couldn's have a shower for weeks. Keeping clean was a great challenge!

That is fascinating. As you will have gathered I don't know much about chinchillas, indeed I have never seen one 'in the fur'. I can sort of sympathise with Babydarling as when I broke my arm a couple of years ago I couldn's have a shower for weeks. Keeping clean was a great challenge!

I knew very little when I got them, other than needing a sand bath.

Babydarling was looking miserable and after a week, thought he would perk up after a sand bath. He really has. Hope I haven't made a mistake because of his eye, but sometime you have to let them do what is natural.

Hope your arm is completely fine now.

Back