• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

skin neoplasia

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
What exactly does this mean? I put it in google and the first thing that came up was cancer UK :(

Is it definitely cancerous?

Yep - in humans, technically moles and skin tags are types of skin neoplasia, but they aren't normally dangerous or cancerous, so it's not necessarily a term to worry about.

Going to speak from the point of view of a medical student so perhaps you can disregard this! Yep a neoplasm is something where the cells start misbehaving really, not acting the way they are supposed to. It essentially means "new growth" so you can get a mass of cells. These "tumours" can be benign which means they are localised and essentially non-dangerous or malignant i.e. cancerous which means they could spread and cause all the problems associated with cancer. If this is something your rabbit has you probably ought to keep a good eye on it; if it changes, grows or starts to bleed/ulcerate/seems painful you should get them to the vet asap. The thing with neoplasms is that this "cell dysplasia" can progress into something a little nastier but that is certainly not the rule but this will have been why your google searches came up with cancer uk. In people neoplasms are often removed (but again, not always) even if benign to prevent the risk of any future problems. If your vet has checked your bun out and not decided on any surgery it probably means the risks of surgery outweigh its potential benefits which I guess is a good thing :)

Hope that was a help and if I can make it clearer let me know!

Back