• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for sore skin under chin?

cocobun

Young Bun
Bun is just coming to the end of his medications for his GI Stasis, and due to being a complete diva and refusing to swallow alot of meds, they would dribble onto his chest hair where he would clean as soon as it was over. I've noticed that he's got what I guess is saliva burn under his chin - it looks like red, windburnt skin with only little tufts of fur coming out. He doesn't have any dental problems so I know it's just caused by licking all the meds off.

He's fine and it doesn't seem to cause him any pain - he's eating, pooping and running around like a champ, but I wondered if there's anything I can put on it to help it get better faster and wouldn't be dangerous if he licked a bit off? Thankyou!

If it is now dry and not painful for him I'd leave it alone. Just keep an eye on it for any sign of infection. If it is damp that indicates that he may actually be drooling which would require investigation by the Vet.

Grim gets this and I've treated it with hibiscrub and sudacrem but it was very stressful for him so now I just leave it. Hibiscrub can sting quite a but on raw skin so I think the sudacrem its better but speak to a vet first.

It's dry & I like Jenova's bun I think it would stress him out if I tried to put something on it, so I'll leave it be but keep an eye on it. Thankyou both!

Back