• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been to the vets with Bella tonight, shes got tablets for her heart problems

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone Been to the vets with Bella tonight as she had to be weighed and tablets sorted she's got Fortekor 2.5mg and she's got to have half a day, we've got to go back next Saturday and hopefully she will be getting on okay with the tablets, We also asked to see the x-ray, it was very interesting but was very sad seeing her 'old' spinal injuries and arthritis , her heart is enlarged too and something to do with the artery's not pumping enough blood round or something, (sorry please excuse how bad i must sound, I don't have any experience with rabbits with heart problems until now :cry: ) Bless her she's such a strong girl, shes doing well considering eating,weeing and pooing. hoping the fortekor will help and do what its suppose to do. She really does not like travelling , she shakes and has dribbles, she has Pickle to cuddle up next too, and i give her treats but she gets in such a state :( any idea's on how to make travelling easier for her?

Just want to give Bella some get well soon vibes.

Not sure about the travelling tho, hopefully someone can advise soon.

Could the Vet do a Home Visit ? It will obviously be a good idea to try to minimise stress and I am sure the Vet is aware of that fact.

When I give Fortekor I crush up the amount of tablet prescribed then mix it with about 0.5ml of Fruit flavoured water. Apple, Apple and Raspberry or Cranberry and Raspberry flavours seem to be favourites.Alternatively you could use a cooled Fruit/Herb Infusion Tea. My Buns like Peppermint and Nettle or Chamomile. Then you just syringe the 0.5ml of meds into the Bun's mouth. Some of my Rexes used to grab the syringe as they came to love the tasty medicine and they thought 0.5ml was just not enough !!

Could the Vet do a Home Visit ? It will obviously be a good idea to try to minimise stress and I am sure the Vet is aware of that fact.

When I give Fortekor I crush up the amount of tablet prescribed then mix it with about 0.5ml of Fruit flavoured water. Apple, Apple and Raspberry or Cranberry and Raspberry flavours seem to be favourites.Alternatively you could use a cooled Fruit/Herb Infusion Tea. My Buns like Peppermint and Nettle or Chamomile. Then you just syringe the 0.5ml of meds into the Bun's mouth. Some of my Rexes used to grab the syringe as they came to love the tasty medicine and they thought 0.5ml was just not enough !!

Yep I suppose this could be an option, as its just not nice for her to be so stressed.

Bella is on Metacam twice daily which she absolutely loves and dives and jumps onto my lap and if i am not quick enough she grabs the syringe, she's on 0.7ml of metacam twice daily for her Arthritis and dental and root problems, could we crush up the Fortekor and put it in with the metacam?

thanks for all your help Jane, really appreciate it :)

No experience here, but you've had good advice. Just wanted to add my continuing vibes for Bella. How is Pickle coping with her being poorly?

No experience here, but you've had good advice. Just wanted to add my continuing vibes for Bella. How is Pickle coping with her being poorly?

Thank you, well he's been looking after her i suppose, grooming her and looking after her on car journeys :love: Bella was not in a very photogenic mood today but got some Pickle Pictures that will hopefully be up on a thread soon :) thanks for asking

Yep I suppose this could be an option, as its just not nice for her to be so stressed.

Bella is on Metacam twice daily which she absolutely loves and dives and jumps onto my lap and if i am not quick enough she grabs the syringe, she's on 0.7ml of metacam twice daily for her Arthritis and dental and root problems, could we crush up the Fortekor and put it in with the metacam?

thanks for all your help Jane, really appreciate it :)

I dont think it would mix well with the Metacam to be honest. I would try the fruit water. Bella obviously likes sweet tastes, so I'd recommend the Apple or Apple and Raspberry flavoured water.

The other way to administer the Fortekor is crushed and mixed with a bit of grated carrot or grated apple/pear. You do need to make sure she eats it though. But as Bella is true to Rex form in that she loves her food I doubt that will be a problem :)

I dont think it would mix well with the Metacam to be honest. I would try the fruit water. Bella obviously likes sweet tastes, so I'd recommend the Apple or Apple and Raspberry flavoured water.

The other way to administer the Fortekor is crushed and mixed with a bit of grated carrot or grated apple/pear. You do need to make sure she eats it though. But as Bella is true to Rex form in that she loves her food I doubt that will be a problem :)

Fruit water? is that Volvic touch of fruit stuff? I have volvic touch of fruit strawberry if thats any good? :? Yes she's got a great appetite ,loves treats and sweet things, rexes sure love their food :lol:

Oh good :) so what do i do , crush the tablet and mix it in with the water and suck it up in the syringe?
I sound so dumb, never had to experience with tablets and bunnies before :wave:

Yes, you crush the Fortekor to make a sort of powder, then draw up about 0.5ml of the Volvic Water into a 1ml syringe. Squirt the water onto the crushed Fortekor mix it up then draw it back up into the syringe.

Yes, you crush the Fortekor to make a sort of powder, then draw up about 0.5ml of the Volvic Water into a 1ml syringe. Squirt the water onto the crushed Fortekor mix it up then draw it back up into the syringe.

Oh great thank you so much for all your help :) will do that now and see what she thinks, hope these meds make her feel better :)

Back