• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another Bun With Myxi- Roxy was PTS today

Amy.

Alpha Buck
Hi all.
I've not been around so much recently as I've just started Uni, but I have seen an increase in the number of threads about Buns getting Myxi.
My mum emailed a few days ago saying Roxy had an eye infection, and I assumed she'd got a piece of hay in her eye or something, we've had that before with the guineas etc. She said she was a bit off her food as well. She phoned just now to say she took her to the Vets this afternoon and they told her it was Myxi and Roxy was PTS :(
She said she'd been eating better today and was hopping around more etc, but that her mouth looked swollen today. The Vet advised her to have Roxy PTS as she'd probably go downhill rapidly overnight and chances of recovery were slim.
I just can't believe it. Before I left I hadn't seen many Wildies with Myxi, but just judging by the forum lately there seems to have been a boom in cases.
Is it to do with the weather perhaps? It's been quite rainy lately down South.

The Vet advised keeping a close eye on Leo for the next 14 days... I'm just so worried that he'll get it too and I'll come home to no rabbits :cry: My mum knows to look for lumps, swellings etc on the face and genitals, but is there anything else she can look for in Leo? The only positive thing I can think of right now is that Leo and Roxy didn't live together. The each had a tier of a double hutch and had runs alongside each other, so hopefully the lack of direct contact might stop it from spreading to Leo.
My mum has disinfected all of Roxy's things, and thrown out some of the things in fact.

It's also difficult knowing I wasn't there when she was PTS, but I did say a 'goodbye' to all my pets before I left, just in case something happened :cry:

I guess my main questions are:
What are the first signs to look for in Leo?
Does anyone have any idea what his chances are looking like right now?
Leo is due a vacc. in 2 weeks, assuming nothing happens before then, but for now, how can we minimise the risk?

My main priority right now is making sure Leo doesn't get it too.
Am thinking of others with Myxi buns, and a warning to everyone else to be extra vigilant right now.
Thanks x

ETA: I'm also glad that my Mum got her to the vets before it progressed any further, to blindness and the neurological type symptoms.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss, myxi is an evil disease. The only prevention ideas I can give you are to thoroughly deflect the hutch an rabbit an to cover the hutch early morning and evening to prevent mozzies and midge bites. Myxi needs a vector to transmit so by removing this you can reduce the risk. There is (according to the web) a 60% chance of passing to pairs. Take some relief in knowing he is vaccinated and his will help . I really hope he is ok.

Back