• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bun

Laureyxo

New Kit
Hi there I was just wondering if anyone could give me and advice on my rescue bunny she is approximately 2 and a half she's been spayed and vaccinated but recently she's started drinking so much more than usual and urinating so much, we adopted her as a friend for our lonely dwarf lop and they bonded fantastically but now it doesn't matter how Often we change them they are both drenched in Maisie (the rescue girl)s urine, I am taking her to the emergency vets tomorrow morning the urine does not smell and is very diluted but I am concerned there might be something wrong with her kidneys .. We don't know anything about her history apart from the fact she was a breeding rabbit and has limited movement of her back legs but we always presumed it
Was due to a large metal identity cuff we had removed. If anyone has any insight it
Would be greatly appreciated, Laura x

I have no advise sorry, but i hope your bunny gets well soon. the emergency vets sounds like the best place for her. let us all know how she gets on

Hi there I was just wondering if anyone could give me and advice on my rescue bunny she is approximately 2 and a half she's been spayed and vaccinated but recently she's started drinking so much more than usual and urinating so much, we adopted her as a friend for our lonely dwarf lop and they bonded fantastically but now it doesn't matter how Often we change them they are both drenched in Maisie (the rescue girl)s urine, I am taking her to the emergency vets tomorrow morning the urine does not smell and is very diluted but I am concerned there might be something wrong with her kidneys .. We don't know anything about her history apart from the fact she was a breeding rabbit and has limited movement of her back legs but we always presumed it
Was due to a large metal identity cuff we had removed. If anyone has any insight it
Would be greatly appreciated, Laura x

It sounds as though it might be related to Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC). This can effect the central nervous system (causing hind leg weakness) and the kidneys (causing symptoms such as excessive drinking and urination).

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

Good luck at the Vets

Vet trip

Thanks so much for your input we took her to the vets this morning the vet gave us panacur for both of them and some prophylactic antibiotics for Maisie just in case, the panacur leaflet says it can aid and control treatment of EC do you think we will see any improvement in Maisie's movement of her back legs or would the damage have already been done? Laura

Thanks so much for your input we took her to the vets this morning the vet gave us panacur for both of them and some prophylactic antibiotics for Maisie just in case, the panacur leaflet says it can aid and control treatment of EC do you think we will see any improvement in Maisie's movement of her back legs or would the damage have already been done? Laura

If the hind leg issues have been ongoing for some time then improvement is less likely as the cellular damage done by EC spores is often permanent. Did the Vet not also prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory ? This is usually an important part of the treatment of 'active' EC. But maybe the Vet was hesitant due to the possibility of renal problems given the excessive drinking and weeing.

Did the Vet explain the importance of minimising the Rabbit's re-ingesting EC spores which are excreted in the urine ? A 10% bleach solution will kill EC spores. Avoiding the possibility of the Bun eating urine contaminated hay etc is also important, so using a raised hay rack and feed bowls would be a good idea.

No she didn't she said she would have to do bloods to confirm but was hesitant to do so as she wanted to see if there was any improvement before doing anything too invasive, thank you for your advice they have a hay rack so I will continue to use that, if she is infected will she have passed it on to our other rabbit she is bonded with? Laura

No she didn't she said she would have to do bloods to confirm but was hesitant to do so as she wanted to see if there was any improvement before doing anything too invasive, thank you for your advice they have a hay rack so I will continue to use that, if she is infected will she have passed it on to our other rabbit she is bonded with? Laura

Very possibly, yes, which is why the Vet has advised you to treat both Rabbits with Panacur. The course of treatment needs to be for at least 28 days, some Vets prescribe it for 6 weeks.

A bun can carry the EC spores all it's life with no ill effects. I am not sure of the percentage that carry but I do recap it could be as high as 50%. You mention that they are bonded, have you separated them? I ask as we have been through EC and found although the risk of it getting passed in it was better to keep them together as they got depressed.

What are other peoples views on keeping a bonded pair together through EC?

I haven't separated them no, I originally adopted Maisie as a friend for Charlie as he was very unhappy on his own and he's so thrilled to have a mate I think it would be counterproductive to separate them, obviously I understand that sometimes it is neccesary but they have been together for over 6 months now so I pressume he would have been infected a while ago, the treatments proving a nightmare to administer however, Charlie does not like being held he's extremely independent and very strong! Managed eventually though.

Back