• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun Bun question

I have had my bunners for a year now (him being one year old). When i got him, he spent tim in my room and became used to that space. I am a senior in college and finally out of the dorms. I am staying with my dad so I can have Ringo-bunny by my side. Previously when I went back to school the fall semester I got him, he stayed at my mom's house but I came home every weekend to tend to him. My sister played with and looked after him during the week.

But...

When I moved to my dad's with him, he hopped out of his lair pretty comfortably. I thought he was going to settle in well. He didn't even care for my dad's two dogs. He was already used to my mom's dog. But one evening, our door was left open and the dogs creeped in like they usually did. This scared the bejesus out of bunny, who was used to a dog visiting during the day or with the light on.
I was there in bed to shoo them out and comfort my lil man-bunny, and I have made sure to take precautions against it happening again.

Now he won't leave his cage at all unless I am cleaning it, and even then he is glued to me. I know he lost confidence with the dogs startling him, but as a bunny mama I am really worried about him. I have been patient, leaving his cage door open and either sitting nearby or giving him space. I know he needs at least 30 minutes to an hour of playtime. I need tips on how to coax him out (I have tried begging and pleading and offering treats and tribute) and help him to feel comfortable and regain confidence.

Last edited:
Your rabbit probably needs lots more time to get over the fright. Be patient and hopefully he might forget about the dogs.

How long ago did this incident with the dogs happen? Like tonibun said, he probably just needs more time to get over it. Poor little thing.

It happened probably the second to last week in August. I don't remember exactly when. Thanks though, I will keep loving on him.

Update: he woke me up at 6am (I live in Florida) and he was acting like he wanted to hop around. I sat nearby and he hopped out once, looked around and the back into his lair he went. The second time he took little steps and was being cautious, then turned around and hopped back into his lair. I made sure to tell him how proud I was of him.

Last edited:
Back