• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Storm

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
She's gone :cry: Overnight. Same as Peter, no symptoms. Fine last night, now gone. What the hell is happening? :cry: What is it? The new vaccine? New VHD? The myxi? I don't understand. I can't take any more of this :cry: What can I do?

Oh my goodness, I cant begin to imagine how you must be feeling, I cant help or advise but wanted to say I am so very sorry, RIP little one xx

oh no - thats awful -

cannot recall when you had the new vaccine done -

only vhd or pneumonia (myxi linked or normal) can really take them that fast (discounting none infectious things like stroke, bloat etc as they both went)

Just checked back - peter went 7 days ago . .

could it be poisoning? or possibly an infection which takes 7-10 days to appear (myxi takes about 7-10 but depends I guess on type).

Last edited:
Storm and Peter were both vaccinated with the myxo-RHD on 13th June.

I've spoken to the emergency vet, he's going to make some calls. He could do another pm, but since he found nothing the last time there seems little point. He's going to try to find somewhere else that can do a more detailed one, or check the samples.

I asked if there was a type of myxi that could kill with no symptoms, but he didn't think so. He's not rabbit savvy though.

They were both on SS pellets. Where can I get the food tested? I'll stop using this bag. I have another bag, but what if that's bad too?

What about Stewart? He's fine right now. I asked the vet about starting him on anti-biotics, and he thought it was a good idea. I got plenty of baytril yesterday for Josie.

Storm and Peter were both vaccinated with the myxo-RHD on 13th June.

I've spoken to the emergency vet, he's going to make some calls. He could do another pm, but since he found nothing the last time there seems little point. He's going to try to find somewhere else that can do a more detailed one, or check the samples.

I asked if there was a type of myxi that could kill with no symptoms, but he didn't think so. He's not rabbit savvy though.

They were both on SS pellets. Where can I get the food tested? I'll stop using this bag. I have another bag, but what if that's bad too?

What about Stewart? He's fine right now. I asked the vet about starting him on anti-biotics, and he thought it was a good idea. I got plenty of baytril yesterday for Josie.

PM tissue testing would be a good idea.

I'd see if the Vet Lab your Vet uses could run a test for Mycotoxins on a sample of the SS. I know the manufacturers would do it, but I would prefer an independent Lab to do it personally.

With regards to Stewart, would the Vet see him today to give him a thorough examination ?

I dont suppose anyone could get into the area where you keep the Rabbits could they ? Did you find Storm near to where you found Peter ?

PM tissue testing would be a good idea.

I'd see if the Vet Lab your Vet uses could run a test for Mycotoxins on a sample of the SS. I know the manufacturers would do it, but I would prefer an independent Lab to do it personally.

With regards to Stewart, would the Vet see him today to give him a thorough examination ?

I dont suppose anyone could get into the area where you keep the Rabbits could they ? Did you find Storm near to where you found Peter ?

OK, I'll ask the vet about testing the food.

I can take Stewart in today, but I wonder if I could get a referral to FHB? The emergency vet here isn't rabbit savvy, I'm not sure there's much he could do. Maybe FHB could do a pm too?

My garden is enclosed and can't be seen from the road, so I doubt it. I found Peter upstairs in the shed, Storm was at the opposite end of the run.

Helen I'm so, so sorry, my heart breaks for you.

Have you considered contacting Harcourt-Brown's for a PM. I think that they will find something if anyone can - they'd also be extremely interested in helping considering something so awful is happening not too far away.

HB's PM loads of bunnies, they have a policy of PMing every bun who dies unexpectedly - I'd consider them experts in the field of this as much as the living surgery.

I'm so, so sorry. I'm praying you don't lose any more :cry::cry::cry:

Helen I'm so, so sorry, my heart breaks for you.

Have you considered contacting Harcourt-Brown's for a PM. I think that they will find something if anyone can - they'd also be extremely interested in helping considering something so awful is happening not too far away.

HB's PM loads of bunnies, they have a policy of PMing every bun who dies unexpectedly - I'd consider them experts in the field of this as much as the living surgery.

I'm so, so sorry. I'm praying you don't lose any more :cry::cry::cry:

I think we posted at the same time. Great minds!

Do you think I'll need a referral from my vet?

I can take Stewart in today, but I wonder if I could get a referral to FHB? The emergency vet here isn't rabbit savvy, I'm not sure there's much he could do. Maybe FHB could do a pm too?

My garden is enclosed and can't be seen from the road, so I doubt it. I found Peter upstairs in the shed, Storm was at the opposite end of the run.

You posted as I did. I think this is your best bet. Ring them now. I can ring and enquire on your behalf if you are too distressed to do a the mo?

Agree that getting to FHB would be good. There is no delicate way to put this, but Storm's little body will need to be refrigerated today. Could your Vet do this for you ?

I can only begin to imagine how distraught you are :cry:

There's even a vague possibility of FHB being on duty today. If you were to arrange for them to do a PM and take Storm there she may also be able to look at Stewart in the circumstances.

:( I'm so sorry - I gasp in dismay when I saw this thread, as you have already had so much sadness. Thinking of you at this awful time. xxx

Just spoken to the emergency vet again, he's going to call FHB now and call me back. I can take Stewart and Storm's body and a sample of the food with me.

Thanks Bunny Buddy, the vet isn't sure if they'll see me today :? So if we hit a brick wall, you may be able to get us a foot in the door.

Storm's body is outside in a carrier, wrapped in a towel :cry:

Just spoken to the emergency vet again, he's going to call FHB now and call me back. I can take Stewart and Storm's body and a sample of the food with me.

Thanks Bunny Buddy, the vet isn't sure if they'll see me today :? So if we hit a brick wall, you may be able to get us a foot in the door.

Storm's body is outside in a carrier, wrapped in a towel :cry:

I think they will. Especially if FHB is told you run a rescue, that gets you gold star prority. Of course it might be their one 'not a rabbit vet' on duty today.

Fingers crossed you least feel something is being done that can help you.

*hugs*

My god i'm i really feel for you.

It does sound very strange, i take it theres been no bonfires or anyone cresoting fences or anything by you? Just trying to think of any outside things it could have been for you. How about the hay -is it the normal stuff you use?

It's not the rabbit vet on today, and FHB is away for the week. She didn't think it was worth going there, as she's no expert in rabbit pms. She thinks it's coccidiosis. :?

The vet is calling her back now. I'll go there if they'll see me, or it'll be my emergency vet if they won't.

It's not the rabbit vet on today, and FHB is away for the week. She didn't think it was worth going there, as she's no expert in rabbit pms. She thinks it's coccidiosis. :?

The vet is calling her back now. I'll go there if they'll see me, or it'll be my emergency vet if they won't.

I'm so sorry, that's rotten timing. Ruth would be in tomorrow, who I'd strongly recommend as a rabbit vet if nothing better can be found today.

Coccidiosis was on my mind too. How long ago was it that Josie had the diarrhoea ?

Back