• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training woes

Shula

Warren Scout
Hi there,

I have an 18 month old neutered male rabbit who I bonded with my spayed female bun back in July. They have an indoor enclosure and are let out in one room during the day.

The male had not been litter trained at all before I got him (and spent most of his life living in a pet carrier [RSPCA rescue]), and he doesn't seem to 'get' the concept at all. He does about 60% of the poos and wees in the litter boxes, but also does them everywhere else too! This is not just in the room, which would be easier to understand, but also within their enclosure. Even in the smaller space he poos everywhere, and wees in a few places even though the floor is hard so he gets wet doing it. I don't really think it's about marking territory, often he seems to do it while playing with something/lying down resting (the pooing that is, not the weeing!). The litter tray is filled with hay and he spends a lot of time in there eating and sleeping. I can't put anything more yummy in the tray as he is extremely food aggressive (towards my lady bun)

I had a bun who was not 'great' at litter training before, and don't have a problem with the odd poo around the place, but at the moment there is just so much mess! I know it sounds pathetic but it's really getting me down :(

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - please save me from the onslaught of poos!!

my indoor bunny has 3 litter trays, he cant decide which corner of his hutch he prefers and we had a huge problem with him weeing by the back door, UNTIL we decided to put another litter tray there, and ZERO wees on floor since! He likes the corner ones so it doesnt get in the way. Most of the time he poos in his tray or at least in his hutch but we still get the odd few outside and I dont see what you can do about that. BUT he does do a lot more poos outside hutch when strangers are round, or have been round, or when he goes to stay at my mums, so I guess he wants the place to smell of him.

Outside bunnies also have 3 trays, a corner one, a cat litter one (cause one goes in one and one in the other) and the 3rd is rarely used ( i think just when the others get a bit dirty :oops:) They always wee in the litter trays but poos go everywhere but mostly where they eat hay, so in or around the litter tray area as this is where I put most of it. Generally I find, the fresher the litter tray the more goes in it.

Hope this helps.

Back