• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jealousy Aggression

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Now, Ginger's always been feisty. She often bites me, scratches me, lunges at me, but leaves my wife well alone and still loves all the attention she can get from both of us, and i can handle that, absolutely fine, its Ginger, thats how she is and i love her for it.

However, Biscuit's going through a AWFUL moult atm and seems to be struggling with it a little, noticing his output has fallen in size and quantity i wanted to help him out a little. Now Biscuit's not a hands on bunny AT ALL and he HATES being held or restricted, so i simply wet my hands and hand fed him some pellets.

Ginger came over and started getting really aggressive with him, and this isn't the first time. She DUG at him, she really nipped him, which must of been pretty hard (she is a nipper) as he turned around and growled at her. Biscuit is the most placid bunny regarding that, he NEVER gets angry with her. I was ready for it to all kick off, but she simply put her head down, requested grooming and got on with it. I came back up a few hours later, to find them snuggled up, and as soon as i sat down, they both came over, Biscuit started grooming my slipper, Ginger nipped him again, and again, he snapped back, simply growling at her.

I get he may be feeling a bit crappy due to the moult, but this has NEVER happened before.

It seems to relate to ME. I asked my wife to go in on her own, and she said it didnt happen at all both were fine with each other.

So, my question is...

WTF?

Can anyone make any suggestions, i can't grasp the concept of me making my bunnies angry :( :?

Definitely you? Or possibly food? How are her teeth?

Teeth 'seem' fine - no usual signs yet, she's eating like a horse and her coat is 'alright' at the moment, which has become our new sign, as she stops grooming so much. I can only assume its me, not food, as she did it when i wasn't feeding them, just sat there with them, as i do on a daily basis. I just can't grasp it. I guess i should just put it down to her health, but somethings niggling me inside, and trusting my gut instinct tells me its behavioural, not teeth/pain related :? This could be one of those occasions where i'm not meant to trust my gut :lol:

And Elena, i dont think so, i feel pretty good at the moment, thanks :)

They've been fine all day, except for once, no reason i could see, but i do have my back to them, i just heard him grunt, and saw her sat next to him, they are currently sat in the litter tray as close as they could possibly get nomming together :?

Strange one but maybe on its own i wouldnt read too much into it. Perhaps being nipped etc is fine when she has the option to escape but were you holding her for grooming at the time? perhaps it was a combination of the two.

Edit: sorry you said you were not actually holding her but maybe Biscuit felt cornered between you and Ginger?

My 2 are very much in love but they did have one spat a while ago but ive no idea how it started. The usual situation is Jasper does a little nip, tries to mount then she trotts off a few yards (they are both neutered). He will try this a few times then give up and they go back to grooming. This one time something happened and he was chasing her all round the room, thank god she is quicker than him. It was clear he was upset with her. Anyway they spent an hour at opposite ends of the room then were fine again lol.

P.S the ferminator is unreal when they are moulting. You have enough fur to make a new rabbit once you are done!! I got the cat version as mine are quite big

Dan

Last edited:
Very interested in this as I think my Mimi may show jealousy aggression aswell.
Shes a very placid bun and definatly the submissive one, not that Timmy is dominant by nature, just more confident.
But for the past 6 months or so she regularly grunts, batts and lunges at Timmy when he comes near me. Not every time, probably about half the time, but OH has never even seen this behaviour :?
I have a VERY close bond with Timmy and interestingly Mimi has become alot friendlier and more confident with me in the past 6 months, shes always been very timid due to being mistreated by her previous owners but has come on leaps and bounds :love: So all I can think is shes abit jealous when Timmy comes and steals the attention from her?
Who knew rabbits got jealous hey!!?? They never fail to surprise me!

Bailey used to get very stroppy with Bracken if she came anywhere near me, he was used to getting all my attention. I started making sure he got a fuss first then her and he soon got used to it and stopped chasing nipping her.

Back