• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two brother bonding

Sgj231

New Kit
Hi all

We have two male french lops Maximus and Titan (brothers) currently 17 weeks old and both neutered at the same time 1.5 weeks ago.

They have been living next to each other in side by side cages for around 4 weeks and of course have grown up together (litter of 10).

We started bonding them in a neutral room at the weekend with some success grooming etc. However sometimes (food) or what seems for no reason they just start fighting.

They are split up within seconds as i am right next to them (have the cuts to prove it eheh). Once they are split up they will go back to lying down and grooming each other.

Any advice on why they seem bonded then for no reason they fight?

Even though they are young buns, my guess is that because they were only neutered about a week ago their hormones haven't had time to fully settle down yet, causing them to get into fights over their food etc. It may be that they like each other, just aren't quite ready for it yet.

Afraid thats a bit early to start bonding, let alone with 2 males. Personally, i'd stop bonding right now, as there is apparent aggression.

For males, you'll need to wait 6-8 weeks for the hormones to dissipate, then go back to basics, with neutral territory etc.

:wave:

I would agree with the others that hormones haven't had time to settle down yet, I would keep them within sight and sound of each other, but not let them scrap, give them chance to forget the animosity, then start to bong from scratch in a neutral area, neutralising the living accomaodation once bonding has been achieved to start with a clean sheet. I have two bonded frenchie brothers, but they were well over their neuter when i bonded them. They occasionally chase and have a noisy scuffle over delicious spring greens, so i cut their veg small and scatter it (one has a habit of running round with a leaf of greens in his mouth like a trophy & winding the other one up), but the fights are just scuffles, not serious, i suppose its boys being boys and establishing a dominance order.

Back