• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a fight one week into bonding.

silver jedi

Young Bun
hi i have two rabbits , bonded last week and seemingly in love , very easy bond that was a one second scuffle and then male neutered rabbit spent time making the female stay away from his area, 48 hours later inseperable and fantastic all week, they have had a fight at half 5 this morning and the male is bitten below his eye and on his cheek, female seems ok, they are now alternating between him chasing her away and then lying next to each other. I m not sure what to do now, any advice appreciated.x

How much space have you put them in and if I was you I would get ya bunnys eye checked out at the vet :wave:

hi, vets appointment at 10.30 so in a bit of a rush but i think i know what the problem could be, last night i extended their hutch to include the lower floor, its a 6 foot double, with a divider, ive put the divider back in so its a 6 foot single again, they have been very settled for a few hours now, is this a good sign to leave them together? , they also have a run with no problems about space.Thanks.x

When I had my little girl bonded I got them a new shed etc and for the first week of bringing them home they kept chasing and fur pulling so the lady who bonded them told me to make the space smaller so I took half the shed away and over about 7-10 days gradually opened it up bit by by bit and they have been fine since I didn't let them into the attached run till after about 2 weeks :) I hope your bunnys eye is ok :love:

I would go back to step 1. It must be a neutral area (you say the boy keeps chasing the girl away?,) fairly small, keep like that for about a week then if all is well enlarge aarea a little bit and come back for more help.

hi, thanks for your replies, back from the vets with both buns, eyedrops and antibiotics for the male, ive gone back to the smaller space and they have had a car ride and back from the vets, they are grooming and no dominance issues since 5.30 am so im feeling hopefull that they will stay together , cant believe how happy ive been for the male since he got a friend, its true that its a heartwarming sight.x

hi she is about 15 weeks old so not ready i think, our vets said a check at 4 and a half months was the right time. Im surprised he is the one with damage on him.x

hi she is about 15 weeks old so not ready i think, our vets said a check at 4 and a half months was the right time. Im surprised he is the one with damage on him.x

Hi,

Even if you succeed with the bond now I would suspect once her hormones kick in the bond could break down spectacularly.

My advice would be to not progress the bond until she has been spayed and time after for hormones to settle.

Others may have a different opinion though so don't take my comments as gospel

Hi,

Even if you succeed with the bond now I would suspect once her hormones kick in the bond could break down spectacularly.

My advice would be to not progress the bond until she has been spayed and time after for hormones to settle.

I would agree with this too.

Hi,

I would third this. Have you been advised by either a Pet Shop or Vet that you only need to get one sex of the pair neutered? We are worryingly finding this information is being given out incorrectly :cry:

Back