• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Stress Cause Excess Cecals?

Cari

Warren Veteran
I thought Stephen was curled up asleep under his favourite table but when I stuck my head round to have a look he was sitting in a huge amount of poop. :( It was all over his front paw and the carpet, he was surrounded by it. There was enough that when I cleaned it up it filled the palm of my hand.

He leaves the odd one every now and again but I've never seen him sitting in it like that, with it on his paw. His bum looked nice and clean, although he was much more skittish about me picking him up to check him than usual. He seems fine in himself and is eating and drinking OK but I'm wondering if getting stressed out could have caused the excess cecals?

We have door and window alarms and one fell off and the sound of one going off set the others off, and obviously they make rather a loud noise and it's very piercing. I'm just wondering if it could have upset him. I've removed them all now so they won't go off again. The excess cecals happened about 1-2 hours after the alarms went off though. :(

I'm just a bit concerned. Should I cut out pellets for the rest of the day, he's had his morning pellets but should I leave his evening ones in case it's diet related? (I don't see why it would be, he's had no more than normal?:?)

I dont know,Cari.Im bumping this up.
Its possibl;e I suppose but is there any chance hes eaten something hes not used to or had too many pellets or greens??
Sorry Im not much help.Hope Stephen is ok.xx

I'm not sure but I know when my fire alarm goes off, when I'm changing the battery or testing it, Doughnut hates it. I guess she can hear it a lot more than me and it's very high pitched.

I would just keep him on hay, won't do any harm and see how he goes.

Yes I wouldn't be surprised if the sound frightened him and caused that. I hope he will return to normal very soon.

Yes, definately can.

Monitor him today and take him to the vet for a checkup if necessary.

Thanks for replies everyone, Stephen practically took my hand off for his pellets this morning and he's drinking ok. Changed his litter yesterday so I could keep a close eye and there are no excess cecals this morning and a nice selection of normal poops, a bit darker and smaller than I'd like but there's plenty of them.

Yvette - I don't think he ate any more than he should have, will have to talk to the OH and see if he gave him any bits of vegetables that I don't know about, I don't think he would though.

He's still a bit skittish with me, I hope he calms down soon.

Back