• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behaviour from young rabbit

DavidCummings

Young Bun
I have a rabbit called poppy she's a cutey follows me around everywhere runs and binkies at every opportunity btw she lives in the house but gas her own cage she comes and goes to in the day locked up in at night. She's 20 weeks and unneutered vet says we have to wait another three weeks before doing it

Anyways the other day I fell outside and when I came back inside I had ice on my wrist we didn't know at the time but I had broken my wrist and dislocated my thumb and snapped a couple of ligaments but whilst on the floor playing with her and grooming her she wouldn't let anyone near me being unusually aggressive towards them and she was licking or kissing the hurst area, that was a week ago she's still very protective but she's only periscopeing at people now, as I type this she curled around my feet and if I try to use my hand she grunts and thumps at me lunging at my feet as if tell me off for not resting it, has anyone else had anything like this with a rabbit ?

Similar. When one of mine dislocated her hip her partner would constantly station himself between the door and her always there protecting her. They can pick up when another is ill. Clearly she is very bonded with you!

This is myself thats hurt not another bunny. Poppies just followed me up to bed and brought her blanket and settled herself under my bed much to my partners annoyance lol
She will only lick me not anyonelse if Lynn my partner shouts she kinda looks and say yeah whatever if I even move toward her (poppy) when she's naughty she ru s as fast as possible

Yes I know, but maybe she is viewing you as another rabbit so the principle is the same.

She clearly see you as her bonded friend so it's exactly the same principle as if it was another rabbit. She protecting you and trying to make it better. Some bunnies are just like that. Those that try to heal problems are known as 'nurse bunnies'.

If you ever get her a rabbit bonded friend she will likely always a give a good indication for how well he is. Can be very helpful sometimes.

Back