• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea Pig Water Bottles And Food Dishes

Hi guys. I'm hopefully getting two rescue sows(probably babies) in a few weeks time and I was wondering whether I should get one or two water bottles from them and if anybody can recommend a good brand for me? I was thinking of going for the medium water bottle by classic 320 ml I think it is. I've heard it can leak but at least it's fairly cheap and hey ho most bottles leak a bit! When I looked after my friends piggies they had one of those bowls with a plain inside and a carrot on the outside but when they wanted to eat they had to stand on their hind legs and rest their fore legs on the edge of the bowl so I was wondering if guineas would do better with a shallow bowl? Can anyone recommend a good bowl that's pretty? Thanks for giving your thoughts on these novice questions. :wave:

My pig seems to manage to make any bottle leak! She's inside now since her sister died and she drinks well from a heavy shallow glazed terracotta bowl. She has the same for her food. I think the pet shop has some sold as kitten dishes but Molly's are from John Lewis kitchen dept!

The ezifiller bottles seem easy for piggies to use but don't fit through the wire on some of my hutches.

Good luck with your new babies!

Thanks for the advice you two! Will definitely look into getting the savic ones. =) Do you find the guineas chew on the plastic and if so is that dangerous? Can they reach the inside of those joint plastic cat bowls well or do they need to bend/ crawl in to to reach it?

Yes have two of everything :thumb:

I have a classic water bottle and although it leaks a bit the tube is the right size for McMac to use. I tried one of those glass ones with the floaty bit inside bit McMac wouldn't drink from it so I stick to the classic.

For food dishes you want something very shallow but heavy. Guineas aren't very tall so need a nice wide, shallow bowl that wont tip over when they lean on it.

Also hay racks are good for keeping hay fresh as guineas like to go to the bathroom on hay lol :)

DSCF2642.jpg

In my experience water bowels are much better than bottles as easier to clean, easier to top up and more natural to be drunk out of which means my bunnies drink a lot more water.

Hope that helps.

Back