• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help! Worried about my rabbit.

Noahbeau

New Kit
Hi All,

Three weeks ago I bought a new rabbit. She did come from a pet shop and the idea was that she would be Noah's(my neutered 10 month male). I know people will say that I should of went to a rabbit re-homing place however this wasn't an option for me at the time.

Anyway, Noah seems to hate Beau they just don;t get on. So we have given up on the bonding until she is spayed.

I am getting rather concerned for Beau though as she has sloopy poo's every day in the morning it looks like the ones rabbits eat, but she is just not eating them. I don't blame her to be fair as there is a lot of them. She tends to just lay in it makinig her smell bad, the cage she is in constantly smells like a skunk. I have never had this with Noah as he was litter trained within a couple of weeks and is a very clean rabbit. Beau eats and drinks well and there isn't any problem of how lively she is as she hops about fine when she has run of the place. I have taken her food away so she is on mainly hay and it's still the same.

I really don't think she seems happy and I don't know what to do? I can not afford to go to the vet at the moment as I need to save for her to be spayed. Can anyone advise what could be wrong.

Do you think this could be something that has been ongoing since I bought her? As I have already been to them as after a few days she had a bit of a red eye. They gave me some eye lotion and that has now gone away.

Thanks for all your help.

I am afraid that she needs to go to a Vet. Without a proper examination it is impossible to say what may be wrong. But gut problems in baby Rabbits can become very serious, even life threatening. So the only useful advice we can give is to get her to a Vet ASAP who, after examination, will be in the best position to advise you as to how to help your Rabbit.

Meantime you need to clean her and her cage up several times a day as she is currently a very high risk of Flystrike.

I am afraid that she needs to go to a Vet. Without a proper examination it is impossible to say what may be wrong. But gut problems in baby Rabbits can become very serious, even life threatening. So the only useful advice we can give is to get her to a Vet ASAP who, after examination, will be in the best position to advise you as to how to help your Rabbit.

Meantime you need to clean her and her cage up several times a day as she is currently a very high risk of Flystrike.

Excellent advice..........as always from Jane.:thumb:

I hope your bunny is better very soon. x

If you have removed fruit and veg from her diet, she is still eating plenty of hay and her behaviour seems as normal, there is nothing more we can do but advise you to take her to the vet I'm afraid. Has her poo been like this since you bought her? Who gave you the eye lotion and did they say what was wrong with her eye? Pet shop bunnies can sometimes come with problems as they are often kept in small areas, some with very poor sanitation, and are not vet checked, so it is possible that she came with whatever she has. In a new situation bunnies can become stressed and produce extra caecotropes, but that would disappear as she settled in. I believe very young bunnies, who may have been taken away too young can also produce extras, do you know how old she is? Some illnesses can cause excess caecals or runny poo...there are lots of possibilities and unfortunately you need a vet to diagnose them.

Please don't leave her with just hay as this isn't enough - an eggcup of pellets and/or lots of additional dried forage is needed - lots of things like bramble,
dandelion, plantain will be needed if you don't want to feed pellets as there just aren't enough nutrients in hay alone.

She will not get on with Noah until she is spayed and putting them together beforehand can be detrimental to a future bond, so you have done the right thing by separating them. In the meantime please keep her cage as possible, as poo will attract flies which can then lay inside Beau's skin - this is life threatening, so it is vital you keep her clean.

Lots of vibes for your little girl.

If you have removed fruit and veg from her diet, she is still eating plenty of hay and her behaviour seems as normal, there is nothing more we can do but advise you to take her to the vet I'm afraid. Has her poo been like this since you bought her? Who gave you the eye lotion and did they say what was wrong with her eye? Pet shop bunnies can sometimes come with problems as they are often kept in small areas, some with very poor sanitation, and are not vet checked, so it is possible that she came with whatever she has. In a new situation bunnies can become stressed and produce extra caecotropes, but that would disappear as she settled in. I believe very young bunnies, who may have been taken away too young can also produce extras, do you know how old she is? Some illnesses can cause excess caecals or runny poo...there are lots of possibilities and unfortunately you need a vet to diagnose them.

Please don't leave her with just hay as this isn't enough - an eggcup of pellets and/or lots of additional dried forage is needed - lots of things like bramble,
dandelion, plantain will be needed if you don't want to feed pellets as there just aren't enough nutrients in hay alone.

She will not get on with Noah until she is spayed and putting them together beforehand can be detrimental to a future bond, so you have done the right thing by separating them. In the meantime please keep her cage as possible, as poo will attract flies which can then lay inside Beau's skin - this is life threatening, so it is vital you keep her clean.

Lots of vibes for your little girl.

We were advised that she was 14 weeks when we bought her. It was when we went back to the pet shop as she didn't seem right within herself that they gave us some eye lotion. The pet shop do seem very up to scratch with rabbits it wasn't just a young girl/boy working a little weekend job if you get me? Her eye is no longer red. But she has seemed not right since we have got her, however I have just been putting it down to her being in a new environment and her being scared as Noah doesn't seem to get on with her. She is now in her cage alone so may be scared.

What was an idea to make Noah happy has turned in to a bit of a mess really as Noah isn't happy, Beau isn't happy and she may me a poorly rabbit. I will make sure she has some nuggets as well as hay.

Thanks,

diet

The problem could be many things, it could be diet and what I would do about that is go to the pet store and figure out what they fed her, I know that I have had that problem before and almost every time it had to do with diet. It could also be environment because she was put with your other rabbit so soon she might have got a disease from him, and what I would do about that is I would keep her separated from the other rabbit and keep her cage constantly clean.

You could try her on a probiotic to see if this helps but I also feel she needs to see a vet. I would take along a sample of the 'runny poo' if only to rule out coccidiosis.

The problem could be many things, it could be diet and what I would do about that is go to the pet store and figure out what they fed her, I know that I have had that problem before and almost every time it had to do with diet. It could also be environment because she was put with your other rabbit so soon she might have got a disease from him, and what I would do about that is I would keep her separated from the other rabbit and keep her cage constantly clean.

We bought the same food that she was eating at the pet shop and have been giving 80% hay plus her own food shes used to.

What do you mean she may of got a disease from my other rabbit? He is perfectly well. Could she pick up something as she is a baby and he can fight it off?

Last edited:
What I mean when I said that she might have got the disease from the other rabbit is that since she is from a pet store your other rabbit might have another disease that he is immune to and she is not, for when I had got my first rabbit from a pet store she was sneezing a lot so I separated her and fed her an orange slice a day (because oranges help cure colds and other things like that) and after a while she was fine and was able to be with the others again.

What I mean when I said that she might have got the disease from the other rabbit is that since she is from a pet store your other rabbit might have another disease that he is immune to and she is not, for when I had got my first rabbit from a pet store she was sneezing a lot so I separated her and fed her an orange slice a day (because oranges help cure colds and other things like that) and after a while she was fine and was able to be with the others again.

Do not under any circumstances feed your Rabbit Oranges :shock:

Honestly, you need to get her Veterinary attention as the longer you put off doing so the bigger the problem may become.

Also, it is relatively unusual for a neutered Buck to take a very strong disliking to a prepubescent Doe. This makes me wonder if Beau may actually be a Buck.........................

Do not under any circumstances feed your Rabbit Oranges :shock:

Honestly, you need to get her Veterinary attention as the longer you put off doing so the bigger the problem may become.

Also, it is relatively unusual for a neutered Buck to take a very strong disliking to a prepubescent Doe. This makes me wonder if Beau may actually be a Buck.........................

I have actually thought the same. We investigated a coupld of times which she didn;t really seem happy with :-/ but I can say I am 90% sure she is a girl. Although there is a little flappy bit which I thought was testicles however it didn;t seem to have any lumps in. It was more of a bit which just covered what seemed to be a vagina. I sort of pushed it back and it was just a slit.

It is very strange that Noah doesn't want anything to do with her. I am baffled as he just seems angry at her. IS it normal for a female to spray everywhere as well?

Thanks

Oh and I wouldn't dare give her oranges

I have actually thought the same. We investigated a coupld of times which she didn;t really seem happy with :-/ but I can say I am 90% sure she is a girl. Although there is a little flappy bit which I thought was testicles however it didn;t seem to have any lumps in. It was more of a bit which just covered what seemed to be a vagina. I sort of pushed it back and it was just a slit.

It is very strange that Noah doesn't want anything to do with her. I am baffled as he just seems angry at her. IS it normal for a female to spray everywhere as well?

Thanks

Oh and I wouldn't dare give her oranges

No, it is unusual in a Doe, especially a prepubescent one. It is totally normal for a Buck about to reach sexual maturity. All you describe means I would put a hefty wager on Beau being a BUCK !!

Jack's Jane has given you very good advice: your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet. He/she can be treated for the current problem and also sexed correctly.

Back