• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Two trips to the vet and still worried

Katiec

New Kit
Hi

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or even just tell me to calm down.

I have two rabbits, one of which I have taken to the vet twice in the last two weeks.
I took Hubba to the vet two weeks ago as his eye was weeping. The vet gave me eye drops and told me to put them in for a week, which I done and his eye cleared up. The vet also found he was storing food at the same side of his mouth as the sore eye, and had no explanation for it. I then went away for a weekend and the rabbits were taken care of in my house by my flat mate, he his very competent and takes good care of them. When I got home Hubba's face was swollen at the side he had the weeping eye and stored the food, his eye seemed fine. He was also chewing everything, far more than normal. He was also jumping all over me and being very clingy. So I took him back to the vet who checked his cheek teeth and put it down to a change in behaviour through my absence.

I am still not convinced he is perfectly healthy though. Last night he urinated on the sofa, which he hasn't done since he was a baby and today he is wheezing slightly. He is also very quiet and keeps lying against walls, not always at the same side.

I don't know if I am just being paranoid as I have had a rabbit who died through E Cunuculi, but I just know that my rabbit isn't himself. The vet seems very experienced in rabbits, they sell rabbits in the shop and I changed my vet after the misdiagnosis of my last rabbit which lead his suffering to be drawn out.
I would love some advice as to whether I should take him back or perhaps look for another vet for a second opinion or if I am just a fussy mother

Thanks Katie

I would suggest that your Rabbit may have tooth root problems and also problems with the teeth themselves.

Elongated tooth roots can press on the nasolacrimal duct causing constant tearing. Secondary bacterial infection can also occur. This can lead to abscess formation, a retrobulbar abscess (abscess behind the eye) will cause the eyeball to protrude

When you say he is 'leaning against the wall' do you mean he has balance problems ?

It sounds as though you need to seek a second opinion from another Vet ASAP

Is your Rabbit eating and pooing ?

He doesn't seem to have balance problems. Up until today he has been hopping around and doing binkies on bother. Today he is lying about a lot. He is eating and pooing but both him and his brother are eating a bit less, I initially put this down to them moulting.

Thank you both for your advice. It really is appreciated.

Katie x

Back