• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My 12 week old bunny fell, will he be ok?

I had 2 baby bunnies bought for me day before yesterday and its the first time i ever came across a pet. The other day, my hubby tried to pick thumper up to get him back to his cage, then he struggled and fell from about 50cm high. i was very concerned and he seemed to be fine. But today the other rabbit, bunny happened to fall from a hight about 85 cm. I was trying to clip his nails on the worktop and he just struggled. while he fell, he supported onto the towel i was holding but he kinda sat there on the floor. he usually jumps out of my sofa from about 35cm but im worried 85 is too high and he was not expecting the fall and was not prepared for it. the guys at the pet shop where i bought him told me that if rabbits are scared too much, they get ill...now bunny just gone straight into his cage after 5 mins of fall and ate some hay..now he just sleeps on the corner.for the past 2 days, he loved going around the room with thumper and wont go into the cage before thumper..i tried to check him by patting on his body to se any bones broken and he was making some chatter sounds with his teeth.

im worried that he may be absolutely scared that he may get ill
or he may have broken bones( he ran about for a couple of minutes after the fall) no limping or anything. will rabbits limp with broken bones?

hes sleeping nw and dont wanna disturb him and he seems very tired.

please help!!!

If his behaviour has been out of the ordinary for 2 days (you say he has been sitting on the corner for 2 days when normally he is out with Thumper), you should take him to be seen by the vet. It is possible he has hurt himself in the fall.

Has he eaten since he had some hay after the fall? Has he been passing faeces?

ETA, sorry, I just re-read your post and think I may have misunderstood the timings. Can you clarify if it was today that the accident happened, or 2 days ago?

Last edited:
accidents do happen!
its not good bun has fallen, but it was unforseen, i had one of the litter we took on at 2 weeks old fall out of the hutch, same reasons darted at me when i opened the door.
with regards to peanuts, there was 2 in the litter we took on, 1 made it to day 2 and the other died on day 5 with intervention from us, at the time we didnt realise they were peanuts and did everything to help them, id be shocked if a peanut had survived for 3 weeks.

I would advise visit to vet.

(Is it just me, or is strange that this is tagged on to a thread which is 4 years old?)

I would advise visit to vet.

(Is it just me, or is strange that this is tagged on to a thread which is 4 years old?)

I assume that as the OP is a new member they will have searched for information regarding a rabbit falling from a height and came across this post.

following on from tag onto this old post............

im worried that he may be absolutely scared that he may get ill
or he may have broken bones( he ran about for a couple of minutes after the fall) no limping or anything. will rabbits limp with broken bones?

hes sleeping nw and dont wanna disturb him and he seems very tired.

please help!!!

This is what I did when I first joined, i didnt look at the dates on posts! easy to do. I had problems with my rabbits wriggling, one in particular, when I first got them 2 years ago. I now know that rabbits will take any chance to wriggle free (unless they are 100% calm in your hands) and you have to hold them VERY firmly at all times to prevent this, they cannot percive the risk of their own potential injury in these situation.

I would get your rabbit to a bunny savvy vet asap. if you say what area you are someone on here will most likely recommend one in your area.

Rabbits are difficult to handle and it takes a lot of practice, I have handled mine alot over the last 2 years and still have a lot to learn. on a side note, i believe that my bunny developed a retrobulbar abscess because he wriggled out of my hands after I had had him only a week, the vet didnt think there was a link but I feel responsible. that was a long term problem that developed but the initial problem was a swollen mouth as he banged his chin, wasnt a head injury as i initially though but it was a hard lesson to learn about rabbit handling.

rabbits are prey animals and therefore WONT show they are in pain - best take him to the vets to make sure he hasnt damaged any muscles or bones xx

If one of my rabbits would fall, I would rush it to the emergency vet!:D Your bunny might have some internal damage:(:cry: so it is best to take her to the vet!!:)
good luck!!!!:D

When my Jasper broke his leg he didn't limp and hopped as normal. When he sat still he was holding it slightly off the floor. His leg was a really really bad break and ultimately he ended up haviong his leg amputated. He is absolutely fine now and still zooms around and digs. However if he was taken to a vet sooner they would have been able to pin it in place and he probably wouldn't have lost it. Long story but I didn't actually own him when he broke it, so he was not taken straight to the vets, no matter what I said to the owners.

Back