• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning

J&R

Mama Doe
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am a bunny noob still :oops:

How often do you clean your buns house? My two are outdoor buns in a playhouse. In the morning I just sweep up poos from the floor and then in the afternoon I empty out their bed and trays completely and refill with fresh newspaper and hay. I end up throwing a lot of hay away every day and wondered if I'm being OTT with the cleaning?

I clean mine when they need it which is usually about once a week. But they are on soil which helps a lot. I think its better to clean more than necessary than not enough anyway, so if you think that they will need cleaning, you should. If you are throwing a lot of hay away, then you could reduce the amount you put in the tray which will help :thumb:

We change the litter tray and clean up anywhere else they've wet and take as much poo out as possible daily. We do a full clean every week or 2 weeks emptying out the whole hutch and wiping everything down.
I think it depends on how clean your buns are to a point.

Most of my rabbits need cleaning out every day. I think the biggest problem is the ammonia in the urine. It can damage the lining of their noses and give them snuffle type problems, which is not easy/impossible to cure.

I clean out the bedroom area (where they go to the bathroom) about once a week. Maybe a few days shorter then a week but usually about that. I would clean it out daily or something but the amount of hay and stuff I would go through, since they like to use the whole bedroom :roll:. The main area is usually good for 2 weeks. After that I like to put fresh bedding in.

It sounds like I'm doing it too often then, I assumed that once they'd weed in their trays and on the hay it all needed to go. I shall try just taking out the soaking bits and topping up with new this week then, thank you

I have 3 indoor bunnies.

One is single, as he doesn't like other bunnies and a pair.

My little man is very clean so makes it easy. He only ever poos and wees in his litter tray. I clean it out every day. I clean out the dog crate once a week. I very rarely find a poo in there.

However my other 2 are messy. The litter tray every day and the hutch every 1 or 2 days. I take it all apart and wash it in the bath. They free range 24/7. I sometimes have to lock my boy into his dog crate when he gets destructive and let him out an hour later.

I think I prob overdo the hay bit BUT I think they love it!:roll::lol:

Litter trays I do every day - example...clean with vinigar and put aubiose in ,then every monring I scoop out any wet areas and top up, I usually chuclk out the hay thats in it toothats been pulled down from the hay rack and pooped and wee'd all over.

I clean out the whole hutch and run every 2 weeks as the brown bins go then, so its easier. Sometimes I replace areas that have got wet if needed. Im quite fussy about keeping it as clean as possible as I had a bunny when younger die form fly strike and its awefula nd haunts me, so any dodgy uneaten poops, which bless little Indiana gets with her upset tums, I very quickly get rid of. Then she goes on hay only for a day or so.

Every night I put a fresh handful of hay in their sleep areas - so after 2 weeks its a very snug bedroom area i clean out!;)

Thing is, if i left the litter trays for a few days, its horrible, I wouldnt like it, so presume they dont either.

Our 2 are in a shed with a hutch inside it. On Sundays we do the full muck out, everything is swept up and out, the litter tray is washed and filled with hay that the rabbits have left on the floor, we scoop it up and sort of shake it, any poo drops out then we put the hay in the litter tray and re sweep the floor.

The hutch when we empty it is sprayed with a pet friendly disinfectant and left to dry, so is the lino on the shed floor.

Then every day we wash the litter tray with hot water and a quick spray of bathroom cleaner, it is thoughly rinsed and then filled with the leftover floor hay. So my hay is recycled over 2 days. I go through just over a bag per week of excel dandilion and forage, think they are 1kilo packs.

I prefer to clean them daily cos my children do it and every other day caused problems on whos turn and if it was done yesterday etc.

I use straw in the bedroom bit of the hutch

I replace the thick layer of newspaper and hay in my 2 large litter trays every day (outdoor bunnies) and disinfect as needed (depends how thick the layer of newspaper!)

Probably only have to clean & disinfect the hutch once a week as they rarely go up there, much preferring to be in the run, where the litter trays are. I do a bit of a sweep and clean of run most days and disinfect probably every couple of weeks.

Yes, probably waste a lot of hay, but there we are - the upside is that there are hardly any poopies or wees anywhere but in the trays.

i have a hutch and a shed to do

litter trays emptyed sunday and thursday and refilled inbetween
spot clean poo everyday from the hutch
so far so good in the shed no poo out of tray its unbelivable at times :shock::D
sometimes a full clean of shed once a month sooner if need be but it keeps pretty clean just gets hairy sometimes :p

My 4 are free range indoor buns. I empty, clean and refill their litter trays every other day. Twice daily I sweep up any stray poos and hay. Every couple of weeks I clean the trays with vinegar to remove any wee residue. Their beds (small squares of duvet and fleece blankets) get washed when they need it, approximately once every 2 weeks :wave:

Back