• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh Bother

kg4gp

New Kit
Hi I have a Dutch Rabbit his around 1 year old and his not liking the thunder, i've always thought he was a male and kept him away from the female just in case. But it's really stormy and thundering quite bad here today and i have just been outside to check on them and his pulled his fur out and wont let me touch him or anything .. normally he runs to the door for fuss i'm really worried :cry:

Please help

I would bring him inside, into a quiet room, with something that smells of him, some of his hay, his food bowl, a place to hide. Leave him in the dark and quiet if he doesn't want you touching him. Rabbits can pull fur out when stressed so it's likely that's what it is.

How is your female rabbit reacting?

She's fine, I've never been able to handle her she doesnt like me but she's sat nice and calm in her hutch

It could be boredom or if its a female - might be building a nest. Sometimes rabbits that are very bored do it even though I am quite sure your rabbit isn't that bored!

He shouldn't be bored his got toys and things and we let him out on a harness as I had my last rabbit mauled by a dog when it was in a secure shop bought run so i wont use them but he runs round happy on the leashe

its impossible to be pregnant as his never been put with other rabbits

Is he actually pulling his fur out or are there just bold spots??? If there are just bold spots then he might just be grooming himself too much.

One way to get rid of boredom is to get him neutered and put with a neutered female, with companionship he won't be bored.

If he is a boy then pulling out fur would be a sign of stress and boredom, I think with the thunder it would be stress.

Back