• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 new additions! :D U/D one of mom duck's ducklings missing

William

Wise Old Thumper
:love::love::love::love: Born June 8th

June2012196.jpg

June2012278.jpg

June2012254.jpg

June2012263.jpg

June2012275.jpg

June2012284.jpg

Last edited:
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:love:
i want muscovy duckies!!
andy's mums slowly coming round to the idea:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks guys :love:

Aww they're lovely. Did you breed them?

one of the ferals that live in my yard (muscovies are invasive in Florida) had 14 ducklings and I took these two. So far everyone is still alive :D

Only a few will survive to adulthood, most will be eaten by predators, so I'm most likely saving these 2. And considering they're invasive they shouldn't really be in the wild anyway. A couple of years ago there was actually a law passed that people can shoot muscovies :( Parks gather them up and gas hundreds of them too.

Only a few will survive to adulthood, most will be eaten by predators, so I'm most likely saving these 2. And considering they're invasive they shouldn't really be in the wild anyway. A couple of years ago there was actually a law passed that people can shoot muscovies :( Parks gather them up and gas hundreds of them too.

So sad :cry:

You guys who want ducklings should definitely get some one day if you can, they're very hardy and easy to care for (except ducklings need as much attention as you can give them) and my ducks, adults and babies alike, are very puppy like, following me around and such :D Dill is always falling asleep with her bill resting on my foot :lol: Muscovies are a good breed if you live in the city or suburbs since they don''t quack, don't make holes in the yard when it rains and don't need much water for swimming. well, no domestic duck really does need a lot of swimming water, but muscovies even less so because their oil glands aren't as developed so they don't spend much time in water. Kiddie pools, tubs of water, plastic preformed fish ponds, etc all work well.

I've got some clearer pics of them now

June2012295.jpg

June2012294.jpg

June2012291.jpg

June2012293.jpg

Poor Scout (My muscovy who's just over a year old) she's extremely broody I think. she's been acting very odd and when i hold the ducklings up to her she lights up :( I wouldn't dare let her actually interact with them though in case she hurt them. Luckily Dill isn't broody at all and Mallory the mallard is way too young of course (she'll be 8 wks old on the 12th).

They're very cute :love:. I know you said you're saving those two from some horrible fate, but won't mummy duck miss them?

IMO ducks are terrible mothers and most ducklings die. If you watch a group you can usually see the numbers drop daily, and the mothers will often leave them for hours on end and then abandon them competely. I say these 2 are lucky duckys!

I did feel horribly guilty taking them, especially because the mom trusts me, but knew i'd regret it later when most of them are gone. She was a duckling that was born here last year (she's Scout's sister) from another feral mom whom we had raised in 2010 and out of 23-25 ducklings (can't remember the exact number now) she was one of the lucky 6 or 7, excluding Scout, that survived to adulthood. Her mom got killed a couple months later while sitting on another nest. We've had several mom ducks come with ducklings and only a few survive. Not due to the mom's faults - muscovies, unlike most domestic ducks, are usually good mothers that will (and do :() die protecting their ducklings. There's just so many predators here.

Hopefully, since she's still got 12, she probably doesn't miss these two and they were only hours old so they hadn't bonded very much yet.

They are seriously the cutest things I have ever seen on the whole forum! :love::love::love: I love ducks, but its just the mess they make and the need for a pond that puts me off at the moment. One day if I have a bigger house and more land...

Oh bless them! :love: How long do they stay ducklings for? I used to love watching ducks and ducklings on the river near where my late grandparents stayed.

Back