• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance- Which company?

Beansprout

Warren Scout
Hiya :)

It's about time I think about taking out insurance for my two buns. Do you guys know of any good companies? Who are you with?

It's very tempting to say "cheap" but cheap usually means bad service and bad coverage. Are there any.. good value ones?

Thanks

Only had one experience of a claim so far but I'm with exotic pets direct and they seem reasonably priced and paid out quickly on my claim.

Mine are with Petplan. I pay £16.01 per month for the two, so that's £8 each which I think is very reasonable. I've never had to claim yet, luckily.

I'm with P@H but may change to Pet Plan when this cover has finished, mainly because my vets promote them an that they pay direct to the vet, my current insurer can pay direct to vet but I can't use that option with my vets, which isn't really a problem anyway

5 of ours are with Petplan (we would have all of them with Petplan if we could), they have paid up nearly every time for us and usually very promptly too. Ours can now be insured for life with them as long as we continue our insurance which is great peace of mind. We are also able to get payment towards complementary therapies, for instance for acupuncture that Muesli is currently having.

Acupuncture! That's adorable :)

Well it seems pet plan is the majority vote! I'll have a look at their plans then :)

Thanks everyone!

Another vote for Petplan here. We've claimed around £2000 since February for Teddy and they pay the vets directly and quickly, never had any quibble.

My three pets are all with Pets at Home insurance. Recently they paid out on a claim for Cookie - promptly and with no problems at all. The renewal came through two weeks after the payout and had only gone up 25p a month which was surprising.:wave:

Make sure it's a For Life policy, which means you can claim for the same condition every year as long as you keep paying the premium. PetPlan offer the best protection in my opinion. Pets at Home also do a For Life policy which is almost as good (But they also do an 'annual only' policy which isn't good).

We use pet plan here too. My girl Pepper (RIP) needed a lot of treatment in her final days and pet plan paid out (nearly £2k) quickly and directly to the vets. It is worth noting that they do not cover dental work. However, without going into too much detail, my girl had nerve damage to her face after the removal of tumors, which meant she couldn't chew on one side of her mouth. This lead to dental spurs that needed doing every 4-6 weeks. Because it was a result of the cancer Petplan paid for all the tooth spur treatment, which we really didn't think they would. They would have been within their rights to refuse too. After that we had a lot of respect for the company!

One thing to make sure you look at when taking out a policy is that it is a lifetime policy. This means that you just declare any previous issues (they wont pay out on these) when you first take out the policy. After that as long as you pay your renewal each year you are covered. Some companies have it on a yearly cover basis. This means that if anything happens in that year of cover, you have to declare it when you take out the next year, and they won't pay out. Hope that makes sense hehe! Petplan are lifetimes policies :thumb:

Back