• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating as well as I'd like PHEW, much better than earlier

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Scarlet has me worried, she's not eating as well as I'd like her to after her tooth extractions.
She has eaten, but usually she would be wolfing everything by now which she isn't. There was some ulceration to her cheek this time though, which she hasn't had previously so I am assuming it's sore. I've given her some metacam, but it's out of date having been opened for 7 months, so I need to ring FHB and get them to ask our vet to dispense some. FHB didn't think she'd need it because she was eating, but I rather think she was only eating because they had given her metacam so I want to keep giving it to her.
She's ok in herself, and has pooped (it looks like hers and it's in the litter pan so not likely to be Ori) so I know I shouldn't be overly worried and she just needs time, but she usually bounces back so quickly after a dental. My poor wee girl. :(

Last edited:
Not that I would like to disagree with FHB but for me, if a bun had had tooth extraction and cheek lacerations I would want to continue NSAID's for several days until eating has resumed to normal levels. Hope she feels better soon x

It can take a good 7-10 days before some Rabbits get back to normal after a Dental extraction

Not only can soft tissue damage take time to heal, but the effects the surgical trauma on the transmandibular joint can also take a considerable time to resolve. Having your jaw clamped open and your teeth pulled is bound to effect surrounding structures.

Hopefully time and some Metacam will get her back to eating normally very soon xx

Not that I would like to disagree with FHB but for me, if a bun had had tooth extraction and cheek lacerations I would want to continue NSAID's for several days until eating has resumed to normal levels. Hope she feels better soon x

I'm inclined to agree. FHB wasn't in yesterday when we collected her so I only saw the nurse. They didn't prescribe it last time either but FHB specifically checked that I already had some at home.

It can take a good 7-10 days before some Rabbits get back to normal after a Dental extraction

Not only can soft tissue damage take time to heal, but the effects the surgical trauma on the transmandibular joint can also take a considerable time to resolve. Having your jaw clamped open and your teeth pulled is bound to effect surrounding structures.

Hopefully time and some Metacam will get her back to eating normally very soon xx

Thanks, I know I'm expecting too much because she's usually so quick to tuck into her nuggets. It was 2 teeth this time which is less than before so it's thrown me. Her bone density in that side of her jaw is rubbish, so I expect there is more structural impact this time as she only has one top tooth left on that side. The bottom teeth, which also had some extractions last time have settled well and FHB is happy with those at least. Bizarrely, the thing she IS eating well is hay which is what we normally struggle to get her to eat. :shock: She is pooping well, so she IS eating enough to keep things moving at least.

Have just spoken to our vets and they will prescribe without speaking to FHB so I can collect a new pot of metacam at 11.

Can you really carefully syringe it in?

I thought that but I'm trying to avoid it, she doesn't like being handled and she's had so much stress already in the last few days.
My 4th attempt was a piece of dandelion of which she ate some, so she maybe got 1 or 2 drops, and similar this morning.

Yeh, I can understand the reluctance. With mine, whenever I syringe, they get their ever most favourite thing to eat after as a reward. Is that worth a try? What about baby food?

There's no food Scarlet really loves except nuggets, so it's hard to give a treat. It's times like this I wish we allowed them the odd bit of rubbish. Banana is usually her treat of choice, but she knows I'm trying to get meds into her and is being so damned suspicious of everything. She won't eat baby food, she turns her nose up. She's sat eating again now, so am a bit less worried. If she stops eating/pooping then I'll syringe it. Thanks Sky-O.

Am much happier with Scarlet tonight, she has had greens, hay and more nuggets. I'll sleep a little easier tonight.

Back