• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip (seizure on June 8) U/D June 20, no further seizures

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Pip had a 30 second seizure this afternoon about 3:30.
Off to vets now. Need to know what to ask the vet for in case she is not my rabbit savvy one.
Vibes and prayers, please?

Last edited:
Finally back home. My mobile died in town and our power was out due to thunderstorms when we got home. I just now am able to post.

The vet thought Pip might have gotten too hot and that's what caused the fit. She was just in her litterbox scratching her ear and then completely convulsed the next minute. I've not been this frightened for a pet since my old cat either stroked out or had heart failure and died in my arms 5 years ago. :(
Bloods could not be taken because her veins are too small. But she was checked for mites and that her ears were clean and no nystigamus (sp?) was noted. Her eyes were not injured (she kept banging into her hay basket while I was trying to get a hold on her) and there was no sign of any other trauma.

She has a course of Safeguard (fenbendazole for dogs) with 0.5 ml once a day for 7 days. I think you're also supposed to give metacam if E.C. is suspected but I don't remember. Vet didn't say...I'll call tomorrow to be sure.
We also have a one off injection of diazepam to use if she should fit again for a prolonged period to keep her from snapping her spine. Which I feared she was going to do today. :cry:
She also got a large syringeful of sub q fluids. I would've thought they'd have hung a bag for her but it will have to do. I should've asked them for a few extra to bring home but didn't think of it. Despite having a messy bum today due to eating dandelions, I think I'll try to keep getting some wet greens into her to keep her hydrated.

I've never seen anything so horrible and I hope to God I never do again. Poor Pip. I feel such a rotten bunny mum at the moment. :(

Oh goodness poor Pip and poor you :cry: That must have been auwful to see :(

I wonder if it was like a febrile convulsion that infants and young children have when they have a fever. If so its horrific to watch, but not atall harmful in the long run.

Dont feel like a bad bunny mum, you did EVERYTHING right and got her through it. Out of curiosity and for educational purposes what did the vet tell you to do if it happens again, are you supposed to hold her still to an extent or just leave her to it?

Sending zillions of vibes it was a one off x

(((HUGS)))

You poor thing, how very scary for you and Pip! :shock::cry:

You did all the right things so don't feel bad, it is beyond your control i'm afraid.

I am just wondering if the ear scratching before the fit might indicate a middle ear infection? - the middle ear is so very close to the brain that it can induce these sorts of problems quite easily I understand. It would not be visible just by looking down the ear. I would certainly consider a course of metacam alongside the fenbendazole treatment just incase there is widespread inflammation from infection or EC. She may need covering antibiotics - did she have a fever?

Do dandelions normally give her an upset tum? They are usually quite astringent :? I am thinking her tummy may be more indicative of pain and stress from the episode and/or the cause.

Big vibes for Pip and hugs for you xx

Hi Gemma :)
I was told to try wrapping Pip in a blanket or towel to help restrain her during a seizure, and if it was prolonged to inject the diazepam between the shoulderblades where we administered the sub q's if I could manage it, but otherwise to just try to keep her from injuring herself by rolling onto objects. I mostly would use the injection to keep her from contorting so bad that her back could be hurt. I do know from reading other threads here that it is generally thought bunnies don't realize they've seized. I have a 22 year old son who would get febrile 'absence' seizures from immunizations. They're scary indeed but apparently do no real harm.
Today though I thought I had lost Pip. It was quite frightening. It didn't help that it happened in front of my daughter either.

PL, Hello! :) I didn't realize that middle ear infections can't be diagnosed by otoscope. Sadly this was not my usual exotics vet and although she does work with rabbits I don't agree with her on methods at times. However she did agree to the fenbendazole which I've been reading up on myself. They did not have it formulated for rabbits at the vet and I had to go to a feed store to get a liquid form...however it is dog strength. It should be 100 mg per every 1 ml so she wanted me to use 0.5 ml once daily for my 5lb 10 oz bun...no idea on her temp, the vet didn't mention. I don't know if it needs to be taken with or without food. And no, we didn't get any abx. I should've thought of that. :(
She's actually doing better now that it's cooled off and it is Mimzy who looks ill. I am leaning more towards the wild temps and humidities we've seen this week. I can only pray this was the only seizure I will see from any of my bunnies...never been more horrified. :(

ETA May have spoken too soon...not sure if she just had another small seizure or if she was scratching herself but when I went to look at her she seemed distressed. Her ears are VERY warm and her eyes look a bit wild. Just gave her the fenbendazole and a conservative 0.1 ml metacam...she can probably have more but I didn't get a dose for that today...this is Mimzy's metacam and his twice a day dose.
I'm not going to sleep...I can't possibly...it's 2a.m. here and I'm scared my rabbit is going to die while I'm asleep.

Oh you poor thing :cry: You must try and get some rest if she is comfortable. Put a bed on the floor beside her if you must.

If her ears are warm then it may be an ear infection for which she will need abx. I don't know for sure as have no experience of this myself if middle ear infections manifest as seizures in some rabbits, very often there is a nystagmus and a head tilt accompanying them, but with the middle ear so close to the brain anything is possible. The other possibility other than inflammatory infectious disease like EC would be a space occupying lesion in the brain or something like epilepsy although I have no idea if rabbits are prone to epilepsy :? I suspect stress will worsen her condition so you need to keep calm if you can, easier said than done I know.

If she deteriorates are you able to get to an emergency vet in the night? She may need abx if infection becomes the main complication.

Lots of vibes for Pip and Mimzy xx

We'd have to drive her the thirty miles into town again and the ER vets know less about rabbits than I am comfortable with. But they should be able to write a prescription for abx. Any one in particular I should hope for?
She seems peaceful again now. Just caught her grooming (she's been in perpetual moult of late but it's really coming out in chunks these days.) Keeping our paws crossed. I'll ask the vet about additional meds in the morning.
And Pip and Fiver both have trouble with greens and forage this year. Seems to mess up their cecals badly when the right mix used to help. We went through some hay changes recently too. So her tummy is having trouble anyway.
She also had her first dental this year back a few months ago (at five years old) and I remember she had some cheek sores from spurs...I should've had the vet be sure she hadn't developed an abscess.

Getting sleepy now. Pip seems quiet. May go ahead and grab some kip if I can.
Thanks so much everyone. :)

Last edited:
I hope as I am typing this you and Pip are getting some well deserved sleep.

The little girl I look after has febrile convulsions, its absolutely terrifying so I know how you feel. I would never want to see one of my beloved buns having one :cry:

Cant add anymore than what has already been said really. I wouod think the main thing is to have her temperature checked and have her examined for an infection.

Do keep us updated. Sending tons more vibes x

It's been a week and a half since Pip's seizure. She hasn't had any others, God willing. I am hoping it was a one off due to heat, but it's been brutal here this week and she hasn't had a problem. I'm more likely to bet it's just being kept in check by the fenbendazole.
Updated Mimzy's thread also.

Back