• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch dilemmas!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, I'm new :wave: I am hoping for some advice/ideas as to the best option for a new hutch and run for my 2 beautiful rabbits, Summer and Skye. I have been intending to replace their hutch for a couple of yrs but I can never decide what is the best option and am constantly going backwards and forwards on my decisions! They currently have a shabby double 4ft hutch within an approx 8ft x 12ft fenced enclosure which they have access to whenever I'm around and weather permits. However as I'm out at work all day, during the wk this is only in the evenings do I wanted to get them a larger hutch with a run attached that they can use whenever they want. My decision was the 6ft hutch with 6x4ft under run from pets at home (sorry using phone and don't know how to get links or pics in post!) and the idea was that when I'm there to supervise they can have full access to my large lawned garden and perhaps a separate safe grazing run when funds allow! But then I saw Molly's mansion on www.bitsforpets.co.uk and thought it looks much better, however, the run area on this is 6.5ft x 3ft, so seems bigger but is actually slightly smaller and the hutch area is only 3ft sq, but then do they need a 6ft long hutch or do they just need a 'den' area if they have permanent access to the run? I prefer the design of this and it fits better with my plan to house my guinea pig, George, next to the rabbits so they have runs where they can c eachother whilst still living separately.... But Molly's mansion, while a good price, is £50 more than the pets at home one so don't want to spend more and get it wrong!! I've also been looking at www.runaround.co.uk as iv always wanted to create some kind of burrow system for them so am keeping this on mind, maybe for expansion at a later date. Sooooooo.... Please help!!! The cost of the hutches I had chosen on bits for pets for George and rabbits comes to £400 but this includes a small link run for between the 2 hutches and a cover for George's hutch so this is my max budget really but obv the less I can spend the better but I do want something that will last, no cheap things that will fall apart after a bad winter! I hope some of u can clear my mind and finally help me make a decision!! Thanks in advance! :D Jackie

I've just bought this for my 2 bunnys when they are fully bonded and come home the shed is 12ftx4ft and the run is 6ftx4ft and I'm just waiting on my bridge link from runaround so I can connect the shed to the run for the daytime :wave:

93a60e8f.jpg

That looks great, thanks for sharing! I always wanted a shed that I could put a seperate hutch in for the guinea pig aswell but with my budget I thought I can either get a rubbish shed or a decent hutch?? How much did this set up cost u? Also I live by myself and would struggle to find anyone willing to help me put up a shed without paying them!!

Only probs with this is I would have to put it in a diff part of the garden as currently the rabbit enclosure is in front of kitchen window and this would block the window! And as I live in a rented house I'm thinking about ease of movement should I move house! I *think* I have decided to stick with my plan for Molly's mansion so I will have a 4x1.5ft double hutch for guinea pig on left with a 3x2ft run attached to right side with permanent access that will sit next to Molly's mansion so the runs will join. I may (if I'm feeling creative!) affix a 'nest box' bed to the top part of the run and use a burrow tube from runaround to attach it to the hutch section, with the tube somehow suspended from the roof/ceiling of the run part, if that makes sense! Just think that might add a bit more interest and ustilise the space. I'm trying to draw the picture in the absence of actual pictures! Opinions welcome!!

I have something a bit similar to molly's mansion and I dont like it tbh and had to spend more money and time adjusting it - my 2 buns seemed to be looking for more enclosed area because they spent a lot of time in the (small) hutchy bit. They need enough enclosed area for litter tray and feeding area and to get cosy.

I have a run attached which i really like and was cheap, bought separately - it has a folding lid so I can get inside it and opens at the side so attachs to anything without much effort - I open the doors and have used cable ties to keep the 2 together, so no diy really.

if you want to see the run, I can send you the link. hutch wise, I'd go for the 6ft wide pure hutches on little legs - I have a suggestion if you cant find one.

No I don't think Mollys mansion has enough indoor space for when the weatheris bad etc. Also rabbits like to look out of hutches. I am yet to come across a near perfect hutch - a shed is much better. The garden centre where I bought my sheds from assemble them also.

Indoor space is just as important IMO :) my outdoor pair have a 6ft hutch with access to a 6 x 4 run 24/7 and an attached metal run for supervised access as it has no roof although I am taking one of our indoor bunnies 7ft metal runs for them as it's too wet for them now :) and that has a roof :) When it's wet, my 2 will spend their time bounding around the hutch and chilling in their litter tray until it's dried up a bit :D I think it's important to give them the option of being able to spend all day in a warm, dry place than being cooped up in (for example) a 4ft area all day :)

When we move out I want them to have a shed with attached run, that way they can spend all their time in the shed if they wanted and still have loads of room in the dry but still have the option of going outside :D

Last edited:
Ok now I'm back to dilemmas again!!! Think I will go and price up some sheds tomorrow with delivery and installation. I hope our bunnies know how lucky they r :lol:

Ok now I'm back to dilemmas again!!! Think I will go and price up some sheds tomorrow with delivery and installation. I hope our bunnies know how lucky they r :lol:

Isn't it difficult getting things 'right'?
Luckily you've been able to get some good advice from here before you've actually bought anything.

ETA I'm looking into having the one Wendle has (but doubt they would come this far to install it) - ideally I would like it to be somewhat taller so I could clean it out more easily: I think it says this is 5ft tall but am going to check.

Last edited:
Isn't it difficult getting things 'right'?
Luckily you've been able to get some good advice from here before you've actually bought anything.

ETA I'm looking into having the one Wendle has (but doubt they would come this far to install it) - ideally I would like it to be somewhat taller so I could clean it out more easily: I think it says this is 5ft tall but am going to check.

I know, I have been thinking about what's best since I got them, they used to have the bottom of the double they're in now and I'd attached another 4ft hutch so it was like an L shape, and the guinea pig lived upstairs, which I loved and it was very spacious and they had the large enclosure they have now, but the cheap hutch and my basic DIY skills meant it eventually started to leak and fall apart so the guinea pig moved inside and the rabbits got the double but iv always intended replacing it. I live in greater Manchester so they may deliver that shed to me for extra charge but I'm going to check the local garden centres 1st. Now I'm thinking if I could get at least an 8x5 shed, I can section off 2ft at one end for the guinea pig and attach him an outdoor run too and maybe use the runaround burrows to allow the rabbits access to an outdoor run. Hope all this is poss within my budget!! I would feel happier with guinea pig in a shed aswell then he can stay out in winter, can get him one if the little wooden hideouts (little kennel style ones) that should be well insulated for him :)

Back