• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT: Baby rabbit rescued from being attacked

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
This probably wont make much sense and i hope this in the right place but it is urgent.

the yard owner where i ride has rung me in a state, she's just rescued a baby wildie from being attacked by a crow. the crow was VERY insistent on attacking the wildie and it went for Lisa as she tried to rescue the baby bunny, she had to lob her iPhone at it to scare it off! she couldnt leave it there, i know that some people might disagree with this but she is such a softie, i probably couldnt leave it there either. So she removed the baby and took it home. it is in her current rabbit's indoor cage, her rabbit is outside. I've read through the sticky and have advised her to ring St Tiggywinkles' emergency 24hr helpline. she had tried the RSPCA but with no luck previous to calling me. I told her to get an old shoebox, line it with newspaper and make a nest out of hay, then cover the cage and leave it in a dark place to minimise stress. Bunny's eyes are open but L is not sure how old it is. L has to take one of her dogs for his vaccinations today and she is going to ring the vets to see if they can do anything for it. It has a cut on its nose from the crow. St Tiggywinkles have said (they just rung back) to find a wild animal rehabilitation centre near L. L is in Lincolnshire, does anybody know of any centres here or anyone who is willing to take a rabbit on?! Please do reply, this is really urgent. thankyou!

Is the bunny injured?? I think Id be more inclined to release the bunny back into its area if hes not hurt.

Is the bunny injured?? I think Id be more inclined to release the bunny back into its area if hes not hurt.

thankyou for the speedy reply, yes he is. he has a gash on his nose from being pecked by the bird. L has just sent me a picture, i'd guess its between 4-5 weeks old. it's hard to describe but doesnt look younger than 4 weeks. I was trying to find pictures of baby wildies to guess its age but havent been able to find any yet!

thankyou for the speedy reply, yes he is. he has a gash on his nose from being pecked by the bird. L has just sent me a picture, i'd guess its between 4-5 weeks old. it's hard to describe but doesnt look younger than 4 weeks. I was trying to find pictures of baby wildies to guess its age but havent been able to find any yet!

Rock and a hard place...needs mum yet needs attention.....

Rock and a hard place...needs mum yet needs attention.....

hmmm... L has just contacted me again, baby is out of its 'nest', walking round exploring, this is a good sign isnt it? she's given it some dandelions and a little bit of grass, is there anything else baby could have to tempt it to eat? it has had a drink out of the jam jar lid she's put in there for it also.

U/D

unfortunately L is pretty sure baby has broken it's leg so is taking it to vets at 2.45 to be PTS. Thankyou for your speedy replies though, L is gutted but she doesnt want to see it suffer. Poor little mite :cry:

Sadly, when an animal that should be capable of bolting or otherwise escaping a predator does not, there's often something wrong. If the rabbit is old enough to be out of the burrow it's old enough to run back there if there's a problem. If it is being attacked by something and isn't escaping there's an injury of some sort. And yes, the crow will be perfectly capable of realising that.

Sorry the outcome doesn't look as if it will be more positive.

ETA: if her rabbit will use the indoor cage, will she be cleaning it / disinfecting it beforehand? Don't want any wildie bugs being passed to her own rabbit.

Last edited:
How sad. Poor little bunny. :( At least it has had comfort in its last hour rather than being stuck with that crow.

Back