• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flies

Misty's Mummy

Warren Scout
Last year a fly or flies lay eggs in mistys and one of our guinea pigs cage. The eggs hatched and there were tiny wee maggots. They were right at the bottom, underneath all the bedding and luckily they never reached the animals. Even tho our animals are cleaned regualry i felt awful this had happened. I done some research and didnt realise just how quickly the eggs hatch.

What flies is it that lay these eggs that cause fly strike? Last year we had the big black flies.

We had our windows open on friday night due to the heat and now we have really small flies in the house. Ive tryed killing as many as possible but they are so damn small your lucky if you can see them! I know they have been near the animals cages, specially because we give them veg. We havent opened the windows since and use a fan to keep the room cool.

Now im panicking my pets are going to get fly strike because of these wee flies :(

I haven't seen maggots near mine like you but like you I find summer is when I really worry about them just because of the possibility of fly strike

Ruthie xxx

I'm pretty sure it's mainly bluebottles that cause flystrike. We haven't had many flies in the house this year so far, I think cos we've swapped a lot of our old net curtains for voiles.

It's bluebottles/blowflies that are the main cause.
I kept on finding fly eggs in the litter trays in the summer. I was cleaning them out twice a day and I kept on finding them, it was awful. Sometimes no matter how clean things are they still lay their eggs. I found the eggs before the hatched. I think getting the rabbits litter trained really helped because the poo was all in one place and the rabbits weren't always there. I don't use any other bedding other than in the litter tray. I used carpet and fleece blankets in the hutch. I don't really like the idea of using thick layers of bedding in the summer, I think not only will the buns get too hot but it gives the flies somewhere to lay. But that's just my opinion.

I think the best thing you can do is keep everywhere clean. I'm going to get some citronella oil to put on cotton wool and hang up to deter the flies.

I'm on a mission with the flies this summer too. We've never had a bun with fly strike (touches wood), and tbh I've never seen the eggs laid either, but some of the stuff I have read and heard has really scared me, so I'm doing everything I can think of to protect the buns:

I also bought some fly papers, but I'm not sure about using those near the buns, and they are also quite icky, so will see how we go without.

Back