• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun newbie. Advice on litter and bedding trays(how to seperate)

rescue buns

Warren Scout
Im a new owner of 3 female bunnies i picked up from the spca. They make me so happy:love: ....along with my three daughters of course:lol: They havn't been spayed but im planning to get that done soon. They get on so well. They were found at side of the road near woods together:cry: Spca wanted to house them together and thats what they got;)
My question is how to distinguish between their litter trays and bedding trays? I currently have 4 trays with wood pellets at bottom then sheet of newspaper then hay on top. Is this ok? Or should one tray just be newspaper and then they will go there to sleep? I dont have a clue. They live outside in our converted summerhouse (once i install photobucket i will put piccies up) with additional 2 levels installed inside. Cos new home for them and not spayed they poop everywhere, alot goes in trays tho and pees all go in the four trays. Also my buns tend to do their other poops (cecals if im right) on the 3 mats i have and it gets squashed into mats? Is there a reason for this? Im tempted to bin mats but thought u should have mats down for them as soft on their feet. Any advice much appreciated:)

picture of bunny barn

083.jpg

Buns go to the loo where they eat, so anywhere there is hay they are going to wee and poo. Try putting some blankets or towels down so they have something soft to lie on if they choose, but in my experience they aren't really bothered, they'll sleep anywhere!
You shouldn't see caecals, in a healthy bun they should all be eaten. It might just be a result of the stress of the move, but it can often be diet related. What is their diet?
Once the excess caecals are sorted, it will also help to keep the mats clean!
Have fun with your buns, we need pictures of them!

Thanks. Cecals have now reduced to about 2 in total not being eaten each day. Was over feeding their rabbit food I now feed them egg cup full of rabbit muesli each, every morning by hand. I orignally filled a big bowl, think that was too much. I prefer to feed by hand now as i get close to them and they are now accepting me and climbing on me and exploring me and i also see how much each are getting. I clean out there tubs each morning and top up in evening with extra hay. Got 9.5kilos of ings hay from hay for you delivered and they adore it. Does this sound alright? post pics in amoment :D

If I was you I would try and change ya bunnys from the muesli food to something like SS that's got more fibre in for ya bunnys they tend to pick and choose with the muesli and eat all the rubbish in it and leave all the good stuff you have a lovely bunny house :love:

Beautiful bunnies, especially tinkerbell. But I have 3 REW's so I *may* be biased! :lol:
I would switch them to pellets, they are generally filled with better stuff and prevents selective feeding. I feed excel sensitive, which has a high fibre content so is good for them.
Beautiful set up they have, lucky buns :love:

Sounds like your doing everything right. :thumb: Changing the food, as others have mentioned, is a good idea. SS pellets are meant to be the best but Excel are quite good, the Excel have been known to cause sticky poos but I think it depends on the individual bun. Remember to introduce new food very slowly to avoid upset tummies!
I absolutely adore their setup! :love: :love:

Thanks!

Thanks everyone who replied. Ok i will change food. I get what your saying. Like a kid i suppose eating everthing on their plate but their greens! But in my kids cases especially my eldest they would rather have a bowl of lettuce and cucumbers to watch a movie than popcorn. I shouldnt complain but its very strange:lol: Probably be chocoholics by the time adults!
Will post more pics of buns and set up at some point. I sat at window for an hour lastnight giggling my head off as they ventured out into their outside run for the first time. Hind legs and boy did that nose get a work out! Rebecca was only one out for that hour. Then when i peered out in dark around 11 all 3 out. Had hatch open for 2 days so excited they finally done more than popped head out. Building a fence so once they get used to their run we will let them run free in half of the garden. Have a cat in our street so will only be allowed out in garden near patio when we are there. Scared cat gets them.
Once again thanks for lovely comments:)

Searched for science select didnt realise the cost! Is there anything i could get at pets at home that people recommend? Just to do in the mean time. Will get science select once i break the price tag to OH:lol: Sneaky buy online me thinks!

I feed excel sensitive, which the local p@h to me sells. It only comes in 2kg bags, and is about £3.95 for that much, but that last my 3 boys 2 weeks.

Searched for science select didnt realise the cost! Is there anything i could get at pets at home that people recommend? Just to do in the mean time. Will get science select once i break the price tag to OH:lol: Sneaky buy online me thinks!

It lasts a long time if you're only feeding an eggcup. ;) a three kilo bag used to last my four around two months (I'm trialing fibafirst at the moment)

Yes, if you're feeding an egg cup each then a bag of SS will last many months! :D

ETA: I noticed you feed H4P Ings hay, which is absolutely great quality hay and I would recommend it lots! However, if you were able to source farm hay near you this may work out cheaper (we get a 20kg bale for £7.50), then you can get the INGS as a treat hay to fill all their treat balls/toilet roll tubes with etc :)

Back