• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I right that the new combined vaccine

Yes from what I've read, none of mine have had it but Beano is due a myxi vacc next week so I'll find out if my vet has it :wave:

Well they only need one VHD a year but I would have though they'd still need the myxi booster at 6 months

Nope, it is an entirely different vaccine made from the actual Myxoma Virus. The 'old' Myxo vac was derived from the Shope Fibroma Virus and relied on cross immunity. If you read the link in my previous post you will see that boosters are once a year :)

Cool, I wonder what they mean by this bit though? Does that mean if they have been regularly vaccinated with the old one the new one might not work?

"Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination"

Cool, I wonder what they mean by this bit though? Does that mean if they have been regularly vaccinated with the old one the new one might not work?

"Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination"

It means they might not develop a full immunity to VHD if they have previously had myxi or been vaccinated against myxi. They will be fully protected against myxi though.

I think the company are doing extra work on this, there is stuff about it on other threads.

I believe it's if they've been vaccinated with the vaccine they use in Europe rather than the one used here.

Back