• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny partner loss...

One of my beautiful bunnies died on sunday, and i'm worried about his sister ~ they were from the same litter, and are 5 years old. I have brought her into the house this evening as i can't bear the thought of her being all alone in the shed, she's definately missing him, and as soon as i open the catflap in the mornings she goes straight to Albert's favourite haunts to look for him. What should i do? Should i bring her into the house at night? If i do, would she then be ok in the shed in the daytime, so she can enjoy free run of the garden or would this interfere with her body temp adjustment? I ideally don't want to re-bond her with another bunny, selfishly i can't go through the loss again. Many thanks for any help, Louise x

I brought my bunny into the house 3 weeks ago when we lost her partner she's I spend most of my time with her an she's doing great now she did stop eating initially but I took her to vets an she had meds but she's doin good now loves bombing round the house specially at around 3am running thru her tunnels jumpin on n off the bed etc lol 

I also have 4 house dogs ~ all ace and fine with the bunny but I could do with having a rabbit pen to keep her safe from electrocuting herself when i'm not here or in bed. Would she be ok sleeping in the house at night/evening and being set free with her shed and bed accessible in the daytime hours? Its so upsetting for us when one of them dies but goodness knows what Victoria Bunny is feeling :cry:

Well my bunny is fastened in the spare bedroom when we are out it's all bunny proof so she just has all the run of it with all her toys tunnels and litter pan and hay box but I only take her outside when it's really warm like it was last week because bringing them in thru the night then out thru the day can kill them in these stupid temperatures we keep having so I keep her as a house bunny for now 

I adopted ours 2 years ago, when they lived outside in a hutch with a small garden to have free run during the day ~ then we adopted them and they had a super home, in a 16 x 8 shed with just under half of it perspexed off for them and a wooden hand made large hutch with a mouse shaped door, lots of stretchy out space and then the catflap that was opened at 6.30 a.m. and closed depending on the light/time of year, plus 4 dogs for all involved to become adjusted to ~ carefully of course for my buns, Victoria has just gone to bed in her shed/house, absolutely gutted as i'm sure she would have preferred to stay in here with us for the company, but she could get hurt loose in the house at her age with wires etc to explore. Don't know what to do ~ she will have the shed and catflap and full run of her 65 x 25 foot garden in the day but would prefer her to settle down for a couple/few hours then go to her usual bed OR get locked in the biggest cage i cann find at night in the house after she's had free range in here for at least a couple of hours but worrying it may intefere with her temp regulation??? xxx

What did her partner die from personally I would get her another partner from a rescue take her to a rescue to pick her own friend she might cheer up with a new friend you wouldn't have to worry as much about her then 

So sorry

So sorry for your loss. When my bunny lost both of her sisters within a short space of time last year, I was devastated and so worried about how she would cope. I really couldnt bare the thought of replacing the lost bunnies, but I ended up taking on a little boy who had been very neglected from the rspca. It took a while for me to bond with him, and also for my girl to accept him, but gradually after a lengthy dating process they fell madly in love and are now inseperable, always together cuddling grooming each other, and so very happy. I am really glad I got another, as I love him to bits, even though bunnies love us, it never makes up for the company of a bonded partner, I think in the long run when the pain of your loss eases a little you will be glad you opened your heart and home to another bun.

Back