• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating Ceacals

clarebear

Mama Doe
I spoke on the forum to some of you last month about uneaten ceacals....I am still having the same problem. I think there are slightly less left now in the mornings, however I am still slightly worried by this. I was convinced it was Bramble not eating them, after a trip to the vets when they said he had a small spike on one of his teeth. This doesn't seem to be causing him any other problems, and he is still enjoying his hay, veg and pellets. The other day when I checked Bungee's bum she had a few poops stuck to her fur (she is very fluffy!), and I began to wonder if it was her not eating her cecals.

I haven't been back to the vets, as Bramble seemed to be doing fine and I read somewhere that sometimes bunnies can simply produce too many cecals....it's becoming a worry now though as the weather is getting warmer. I clean up any uneaten ones everyday and they are cleaned out everyday too.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be gratefully recieved!

Are these the same buns in the 'scrapping' post Clare? I mentioned in there about their health, wondering if one was being cranky cos something wasn't quite right.

Are these the same buns in the 'scrapping' post Clare? I mentioned in there about their health, wondering if one was being cranky cos something wasn't quite right.

:thumb:

Or the excess caecals may be being produced due to the stress on the bond at the moment.

Yes they are Bramble and Bungee. Wonder if it would be worth getting Bramble's tooth looked at again?

Or the excess caecals may be being produced due to the stress on the bond at the moment.

Excess ceacals started before the first scrap....or at least the one that I witnessed. Obvioulsly they may have been scrapping before hand and we just haven't seen it. I had sometimes found fur in the run, but presumed this was due to humping!

Now I didnt know that happened Sky regarding caecals and stress. Shall stick that in me notebook of handy things to know.
Cheers :D :thumb:

Have you tried withdrawing the veg and pellets and doing a hay only diet for a few days to see if it clears up and then gradually re-introducing things again. I don't feed Doughnut any veg, she just gets egg cup of SS pellets, bramble leaves and some herbs. My vet didn't recommend it, said she's better off eating things she would normally forage for and because she's an indoor bunny a few SS pellets gives her vitamin D.

Sorry if you've already done this as I'm coming in late in the day!

Mmmmm maybe Bramble is unhappy and he is not eating his poops........sometimes I think he does look at me a little sadly....he is quite happy to be cuddled too, but I thought that was just because he wanted to get five minutes peace from bonkers Bungee! Maybe he is trying to say 'Hey Mum, my teeth hurts' :cry:

Have you tried withdrawing the veg and pellets and doing a hay only diet for a few days to see if it clears up and then gradually re-introducing things again. I don't feed Doughnut any veg, she just gets egg cup of SS pellets, bramble leaves and some herbs. My vet didn't recommend it, said she's better off eating things she would normally forage for and because she's an indoor bunny a few SS pellets gives her vitamin D.

Sorry if you've already done this as I'm coming in late in the day!

Thank you. I did try this last month, but it didn't seem to make any difference, but maybe it would be worth a try again.

If he was mine I would get his teeth sorted and then see if the problems continue (both in the bond and with the caecals)

Anniebirdy, yes, any stress/depression can cause them to not eat their caecals. Can be a handy thing to know sometimes.

Took Bramble and Bungee back to the vets and Bramble is booked in for a dental on Thursday.....I'm dreading it :cry:

Bramble's dental was done on Thursday and he was kept in overnight as he hadn't eaten much and had not pooped. We picked him up on Friday morning, and the nurse was just telling us that he hadn't pooped......and she looked in his carrier and he had pooped! He was a little sleepy on Friday, but it back to his normal self again now.

Poor Bungee was lost without him on Thursday....she just didn't know what to do :cry: She was so pleased to see him again, and tried to hump him almost straight away..... :roll:

Thought all was looking good as yesterday morning there was only one small uneaten ceacal.....however this morning there were quite a lot :(

Don't know what to do now......

Can you assess their environment and identify any stress factors such as noise or strange smells. It may be a good idea to get some avipro plus to add to the drinking water. It might improve things on the tummy and stress front.

The only thing I can think of that is different is that we have new neighbours.

The man has quite a loud voice and they have two little girls, who are also noiser than out last neighbours children, they have also been outside in their garden quite a lot. They had two rabbits when they moved in, but sadly that had to have one pts this week.

Our neighbours nextdoor-but-one also have rabbits, they also had one pts a few weeks ago and now have another one.

I can't think of anything else that has changed, apart from the fact that this is the first time they have been together during Spring.....and they are a little frisky!

Bramble is 5 years old (male) and Bungee is 1 years old (female).

Where would I get Avipro Plus and what is it please?

The only thing I can think of that is different is that we have new neighbours.

The man has quite a loud voice and they have two little girls, who are also noiser than out last neighbours children, they have also been outside in their garden quite a lot. They had two rabbits when they moved in, but sadly that had to have one pts this week.

Our neighbours nextdoor-but-one also have rabbits, they also had one pts a few weeks ago and now have another one.

I can't think of anything else that has changed, apart from the fact that this is the first time they have been together during Spring.....and they are a little frisky!

Bramble is 5 years old (male) and Bungee is 1 years old (female).

Where would I get Avipro Plus and what is it please?

Avipro plus is a probitic powder that can help restore the balance of bacteria in the gut as well as electrolytes lost through diarrhoea. It is harmless so even a healthy rabbit could drink it without problems. It should be available from your vet or any on-line veterinary store. You generally don't need a prescription to get it.

I have used it in the past for a nervous rabbit with swollen testicles who was not eating his caceals due to the discomfort. Also recently it was prescribed for one of my elderly bunnies as she had a dicky tummy and within 24 hours of being dosed she was back on bouncy form. So I would say it is worth a try. Apparently its very tasty to rabbits which can only help :D

Avipro plus is a probitic powder that can help restore the balance of bacteria in the gut as well as electrolytes lost through diarrhoea. It is harmless so even a healthy rabbit could drink it without problems. It should be available from your vet or any on-line veterinary store. You generally don't need a prescription to get it.

I have used it in the past for a nervous rabbit with swollen testicles who was not eating his caceals due to the discomfort. Also recently it was prescribed for one of my elderly bunnies as she had a dicky tummy and within 24 hours of being dosed she was back on bouncy form. So I would say it is worth a try. Apparently its very tasty to rabbits which can only help :D

Thank you so much! This is definately worth a try. Have just looked and I think my vets sells it! Thank you :wave:

Last edited:
Back