• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damn dental issues :(

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I can't make her eat any more hay, hay just doesn't cut it. She already eats about 5 times her size in hay per day.

She's hurting :( Vet says there's nothing else they can do for her teeth, we're maxing out our metacam dose, vet is scared to go any higher, in case we affect the other problems. Times between dentals are decreasing, we'd got to 16 weeks max, now we're down to 10 again. Thats 3 dentals in between so we're loosing 2 weeks each time.

She's still bright, but she's tooth grinding, and chewing her gums, the tooth roots are irritating the **** out of her.

Vet says she can come in for pain relief, but i can't do that to her every day, and for Biscuit, thats no quality of life.

If i ever met the people who bred her parents and so ended up with her and her siblings.... :evil: :'(

Does anyone have any further suggestions? She had a dental on Saturday AM, so we'll be monitoring for time again now.

Does the vet who does the dentals make a difference? I have found one at our surgery often means the rabs need a dental more often.

I would also wonder about a different type of hay, maybe.

I'm presuming they burr to the gumline?

Lastly *squishes for you all*

Does the vet who does the dentals make a difference? I have found one at our surgery often means the rabs need a dental more often.

I would also wonder about a different type of hay, maybe.

I'm presuming they burr to the gumline?

Lastly *squishes for you all*

We've already, on advice of the vet switched to the stalkiest roughest stuff we can get our hands on, is there a different type you could suggest at all? My brain is not thinking straight right now, too much going on :/

Rachel is the only vet who's done the last 5 or 6 dentals, and she always takes them back as far as they can go, so i'm told, i trust her, but obviously i dont know how far back that goes.

She's bright and bubbly at the moment, running around like a loon after her morning dose, but they are barely lasting 8-10 hours, and she'll be grinding just before that as it starts wearing off and she'll go drinking liek a crazy thing.

Is it the roots/spurs on the upper or lower jaw causing the problem?

I'm 99% sure you'll have read of the new procedure to kill the tooth to stop the roots growing, but thought it was worth mentioning, in case you hadn't.

Is it the roots/spurs on the upper or lower jaw causing the problem?

I'm 99% sure you'll have read of the new procedure to kill the tooth to stop the roots growing, but thought it was worth mentioning, in case you hadn't.

Both, unfortunately.

I can't say i have read that, do you have any reference material?

Wish seems to thrive best on very thin hay, ironically. Different hays wear down different parts of the teeth due to how they have to eat them so maybe what Ginger needs isn't thick and stalky but something else?

Also, Marie on here carries out the operation Bunny Buddy mentioned, but I'm not sure whether a bunny would be a candidate if the issues were upper as well.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ble-Hope-For-Rabbits-with-Molar-Spur-Problems

I don't know of any reference material but this might be worth a read.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ble-Hope-For-Rabbits-with-Molar-Spur-Problems

This is the most information I know how to find on the procedure, I'm sure somebody who knows the way round the Net better than me could find more detailed technical information. I don't know how much use it would be if it's both jaws affected, but it just might be of some use.

Thanks both, will have a read when i find 5 minutes.

Re the hay Sky, she barely eats anything thin, i've tried 3 different meadow hays from different places, and she pretty much turns her nose up to it, as does Biccy, but i'll get some in and mix it in, see if a mixture of both will assist in any way. Right now, i'm up for trying anything.

I'm going hay shopping shortly so will buy a bag of what Wish eats and send it. If they don't like it, then at least you've tried it. You can do what you wish with it if that happens. Equally, if they like it, maybe it's another option.

I'm going hay shopping shortly so will buy a bag of what Wish eats and send it. If they don't like it, then at least you've tried it. You can do what you wish with it if that happens. Equally, if they like it, maybe it's another option.

You are just too kind! :love:

Give me your paypal and i'll send the costs to you if you tell me what they are.

That's ok. :) I offered, you didn't ask, and I offered because I'm willing to stump the cost (oh, wait, because I'm willing to let the tax payer stump the cost, so really you're paying for it anyway :thumb:).

If it turns out they like it and you want more, then you can reimburse me for any future ones, does that sound ok? :)

That's ok. :) I offered, you didn't ask, and I offered because I'm willing to stump the cost (oh, wait, because I'm willing to let the tax payer stump the cost, so really you're paying for it anyway :thumb:).

If it turns out they like it and you want more, then you can reimburse me for any future ones, does that sound ok? :)

That sounds like a very kind offer, and i'll accept, gratefully :)

I'm still at the old house for now ;)

Hope the new hay helps Ginger. It is so unfair that such a good hay eater has trouble with her teeth. :(

Back