• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bonding after rabbit loses his mate

heleni

Warren Scout
Sadly our Crunchie died yesterday (of natural causes - old age I think, as it was quick and appeared painless, she was fine in the evening, in the morning she was listless and she had died by about 10am). Naturally we are very sad, but we are also concerned about her mate Button, as he is blind and very much relied on Crunchie. Due to his blindness he is quite nervous, and although he likes a cuddle he doesn't like being touched when on the ground or the picking up part of the cuddle process. He was left with Crunchie's body for part of the day, so knows what is going on, and he is eating and behaving as normal now - though he is tolerating a nose stroke more than normal. I am worried though that he is going to get lonely, I don't think he will die of a broken heart judging by his behaviour, but already we are thinking of getting a new rabbit friend for him, as apparently human company just doesn't cut it - though I feel guilty about being unfaithful to Crunchie so quickly after her death.

He is quite an elderly rabbit (either 6.5 years or 8, it's not clear from the adoption papers), so presumably he will need an older mate - but how old/young would be suitable? I'm a bit concerned about setting up a revolving door policy for old rabbits too. Also, I don't know how quickly we should do this. I've never bonded rabbits, so although I know the theory of it, I don't know how we would start off choosing a suitable mate if there are a few potentials (how do I know that Daisy would be a better mate than Madge, say - do I test him with all of them?)

Sadly our Crunchie died yesterday (of natural causes - old age I think, as it was quick and appeared painless, she was fine in the evening, in the morning she was listless and she had died by about 10am). Naturally we are very sad, but we are also concerned about her mate Button, as he is blind and very much relied on Crunchie. Due to his blindness he is quite nervous, and although he likes a cuddle he doesn't like being touched when on the ground or the picking up part of the cuddle process. He was left with Crunchie's body for part of the day, so knows what is going on, and he is eating and behaving as normal now - though he is tolerating a nose stroke more than normal. I am worried though that he is going to get lonely, I don't think he will die of a broken heart judging by his behaviour, but already we are thinking of getting a new rabbit friend for him, as apparently human company just doesn't cut it - though I feel guilty about being unfaithful to Crunchie so quickly after her death.

He is quite an elderly rabbit (either 6.5 years or 8, it's not clear from the adoption papers), so presumably he will need an older mate - but how old/young would be suitable? I'm a bit concerned about setting up a revolving door policy for old rabbits too. Also, I don't know how quickly we should do this. I've never bonded rabbits, so although I know the theory of it, I don't know how we would start off choosing a suitable mate if there are a few potentials (how do I know that Daisy would be a better mate than Madge, say - do I test him with all of them?)

Hi

We are in a similar situation to you. We had a bonded pair, Misty and Sweep, but Misty died before Christmas. We decided to rescue for a whole variety of reasons, if you go to a good rescue they will bond for you so they know they will be OK when they get home.

In terms of guessing who your bun will get on with, it doesn't always work. Sweep was a very submissive bun so we reserved a timid little girl, to find on their first meeting Sweep attacked her, and the other bun he was tried with too :shock:

So the best thing to do is find a good local rescue, chat to them about what you want etc and work from there.

:wave: Totally understand the 'revolving door' issue. I would consider bringing my next single bunny in to be with me and my family but I recon it all depends on the bun. I would also try a threesome?? with the other two but it might not work and not everyone has that choice. I think this is always a hard decision and it is obvious you care alot and will do the right thing by your bun. I wonder how many others here have just not bonded their buns again. Sometimes people do want to stop adopting and so the time does come.:(

Thanks both of you. I would like to bring Button in to be a house rabbit but unfortunately his litter training is really not up to it. The local RSPCA (where I got my two originally) have a pair of older females, 4 and 5 years, that I did wonder if he could form a threesome with - he might like to have a small harem!

Catherine - how long was Sweep on his own? How did he manage? Have you managed to get him partnered up again? Thinking about it, although Button is timid and submissive, last week he did take a chunk out of Crunchie's ear, so he's may be capable of some violence (knowing him though, Crunchie's ear had just got in the way of the food).

Thanks both of you. I would like to bring Button in to be a house rabbit but unfortunately his litter training is really not up to it. The local RSPCA (where I got my two originally) have a pair of older females, 4 and 5 years, that I did wonder if he could form a threesome with - he might like to have a small harem!

Catherine - how long was Sweep on his own? How did he manage? Have you managed to get him partnered up again? Thinking about it, although Button is timid and submissive, last week he did take a chunk out of Crunchie's ear, so he's may be capable of some violence (knowing him though, Crunchie's ear had just got in the way of the food).

Sweep was on his own for just short of 3 months. I reckon if we had introduced him to another bunny straight-away it would have been a lot easier to bond him. I think he is used to being on his own and doesn't want to be submissive any-more. He managed fine and actually grew in confidence while on his own, and came out of his shell more, he always loved people but he became even friendlier with all of us while he was on his own, following me around like a puppy and demanding strokes etc.

No, he has initially tried to bite both females that the rescue have tried him with, and so they are now going to try a slow bond (keeping them in side by side pens to get them used to each other without it escalating) and see how that works. Having him on his own isn't really an option as everybody works full time and we can't provide him the company that another bunny would do. I just hope he decides that he wants a wife-bun again!

Everyone was shocked when he tried to bite the first girly as he is such a gentleman and the sweetest most calm bunny ever, I think we all thought the bond would be easy and he would be like he usually is. Nobody expected the aggression we have seen from him! I guess you can never predict how a bunny will react to a new bun.

Back