• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please...

c266

New Kit
Fluffy (male) is one year old, he lives outside in a hutch with a run but comes in the kitchen every afternoon for several hours as I didn't like him being lonely. He also has a hutch in the shed for when it is cold/windy.

Cookie (female) is thought to be about a year old, she was found abandoned on the quantocks on xmas eve and taken to the RSPCA. She is very nervous and if you try and touch her she cowers and practically rolls over.

At the moment the living arrangements have been as follows: The hutch in the shed has been divided so that can have contact through the bars all evening/night/early morning and I swap sides every day/2 days. At 8am I put Fluffy in the hutch/run and Cookie into a smaller hutch someone kindly gave us (no run). At lunchtime Fluffy come into the kitchen and Cookie goes into the hutch/run where Fluffy has been.

We decided that as Fluffy has been in the kitchen it was a no no and he has been in the lounge once or twice. We decided neutral would be the hallway. It isn't very wide and one of us sat each end. The first few days Fluffy tried to mount Cookie and she seemed to be fed up and looking very annoyed so we got him off.

They then had a week or so of just eating around each other, a few sniffs, Cookie scratched at Fluffy a few times if he got to close and kept putting her head down to be groomed we think (possibly fear). Anyway he seemed to have a quick groom of her head but often tries to mount it.

A few days ago Cookie seemed to be getting funny and just sitting there. If Fluffy goes near her she lunges at him with her claws and he backs away. Her ears go right back as soon as he gets near and then he seems to become nervous.

We then decided yesterday maybe Cookie had claimed the area and decided to try them in the boys bedroom. I sectioned an area off, about 4ft x 3ft and at first they were both distracted by where they were but she soon changed, sat there and got funny if he went near her.

After they are bonded they will live in the outdoor hutch/run that was previously Fluffys. He doesn't seem to show any aggression towards her and is so lonely.

I am not sure how aggressive Cookie is being or if it is me being too nervous! I have been reading about keeping them together rather than dating in a neutral area with supervision but with a husband who works funny hours, 3 children who all have school and after school clubs and a dog to walk etc it isn't very easy.

I am going to phone the rspca tomorrow where we got the new one from and see if they are able to help although that is 30 miles away.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Chrissie x

A lot of what happens during bonding is putting their hierarchy in place. Seeing who is the dominant rabbit of the pair.

They assert their dominance by putting their head down to the other rabbit - to be groomed. So actually, Cookie wasn't scared, she was trying to show who is boss.

Same with the mounting - it's just to show who's boss. It's not a male/female thing - as my girls will show you :roll: sometimes it's best to let them get on with it to a certain extent.

These are some of the things which happen in bonding. A bit of chasing is normal as well - when they get to grooming each other and eating side by side, you're making progress.

Let us know what the RSPCA have to say.

Thanks for the advice. the rspca didn't help much but after a few days off I am giving it another go! Got prepared last night and have been sat here for an hour so far. Cookie won't come out of Fluffys tray! A few little spats but so far ok. On my phone so apologies for mistakes, will keep you updated.

Camped out in each others trays. Fluffy has tried to mount and been told off. Have separated them a couple of times. Cookie keeps rolling and lying down in Fluffys tray. what does that mean?

Does it mean that you've not used neutral territory or neutral items in the bonding area?

Why would you 'tell him off' and what did you do to 'tell him off'?

The rspca told me to use neutral territory but their own trays. Is this wrong?

Cookie told him off, not me. She got grumpy and scratched him.

The risk with unneutral trays is that they will become possessive over their own tray or the others tray.

That said, if it's not bringing on any undesirable behaviour then it could be ok.

With that in mind, Cookie might like his smell or she might be 'claiming' his litter tray as hers.

Fair enough with Cookie putting him in his place :lol:

Thank you! Have changed the tray as she did seem to be claiming it. Never realised this would be so hard!

So my 6 hours are up, need to pick kids up in a minute. I'm afraid I need more advice, lol.

Since they have been meeting Cookie has been more aggressive and often puts his head down to be groomed however they were together all morning and earlier after scratching Fluffy lots of times, she walked up to Fluffy and groomed his head for ages. Fluffy didn't really respond but a bit later on tried to mount Cookie again and she got angry and started scratching him again and putting her head down to be groomed but he wouldn't.

Are they both trying to be dominant? Or is her grooming him signifying he is? I'm confused.

I have had to put them both away now and will have to see if I can find a few hours to sit with them tomorrow. Obviously I can't sit there for 6hrs everyday although it did mean I got to catch up on some tv :lol:

They are just trying to sort out their heirarchy. I wouldn't worry if you're feeling confused because ultimately they are the only ones who need to know.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice. I stuck it out over the week and kept them together as much as possible.

Cookie & Fluffy are currently cuddled up in the hutch together and seem well and truly in love. :love: The only problem we have had is finding out that Cookie is a digger and I had to rush out and buy slabs to lay in the run before he escaped!!! These rabbits are costing me a fortune :D

Anyway here are some photos from the last few days....

ac14027c-e54c-44f9-82d5-38586f7af406wallpaper.jpg
[/IMG]

Awww they seem to have settled down with each other well! You are very brave, I haven't attempted bonding, it looks too stressful! The photos are lovely. :love:

Back