• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bald patches**** added pics****

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
my bun is 7months old she had her 1st dental 3wks ago and has severe root problems,she has been moulting quiet bad for a few months now so i have been brushing her with a slicker brush, last night i noticed she had 3 bald patches 1 patch is the size of 2 50p peices on her back and 2 small ones by her tail,any thoughts? really hope she has not got something else wrong she has had a bad start to life already,her mother rejected her,not wanted and left by her 1st owners,she is very timed but starting to get used to me and has bad root/detals :(

DSCF1193.jpg

this is the bald patch on fifi any ideas???its 1 big patch thought it was 3 smaller ones

Last edited:
I currently have a bun with fur mites that isn't itching at all. Is there any white dandruff type stuff in the fur?

They call it walking dandruff but I've never seen one, although I believe they are possible to see with the naked eye. I wondered about mites as it sounds like your bun is having a stressful time at the moment and that's often when they manifest. It could be a number of things though. Maybe you could get some pics and someone maybe able to advise better? :)

They call it walking dandruff but I've never seen one, although I believe they are possible to see with the naked eye. I wondered about mites as it sounds like your bun is having a stressful time at the moment and that's often when they manifest. It could be a number of things though. Maybe you could get some pics and someone maybe able to advise better? :)

ok thank you :thumb:

Hi, my rabbit once had bald patches that looked exactly like yours. We took him to the vets, and he thought he might have a condition called walking dandruff. If you look very carefully for a few mins you may be able to see mites moving around, or dandruff 'walking' as the mites move around it. It turned out my rabbit didnt have mites, he was just having a very heavy molt because of last years very cold winter. It all covered up again in a few weeks, but it is a good idea to go to the vet and get them to put on 'spot on' which is a gel like flea treatment that kills fleas or mites quickly. This worked well on another rabbit i had who had mites, and it looked just like your picture. Good luck! :)

Hi, my rabbit once had bald patches that looked exactly like yours. We took him to the vets, and he thought he might have a condition called walking dandruff. If you look very carefully for a few mins you may be able to see mites moving around, or dandruff 'walking' as the mites move around it. It turned out my rabbit didnt have mites, he was just having a very heavy molt because of last years very cold winter. It all covered up again in a few weeks, but it is a good idea to go to the vet and get them to put on 'spot on' which is a gel like flea treatment that kills fleas or mites quickly. This worked well on another rabbit i had who had mites, and it looked just like your picture. Good luck! :)

thats what i have been told a severe moult and also all rabbits have a major moult at around 6 months don't know if thats correct but she is 7months, thank you

Back